Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I have two computers. If I need stuff on both, I use a flash drive or iDisk to migrate data from one to the other.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I'm a two computer person, a desktop for heavy duty multi-hour projects and a laptop for everyday use and portability.

I have multiple flash drives and external hard drives as well as my iDisk for transferring files when needed. I have no need to keep the computers synched.

I currently use a MacBook Pro and an overclocked i5 Windows 7 PC. Leave it to Apple to wait one month to the day after I built it to release the iMac with i7. Of course that cost five times what I paid for my build. Maybe in a few more years I'll get an iMac or hopefully an xMac.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
it really completely is personal choice.

for me, i work from 2 main computers - an imac and mac book pro. syncing is really not an issue as i use Dropbox, which is amazingly fast and reliable. mobileme and spanningsync keep my iphone in sync regardless of where i add contacts or calendar information - from my phone, ical, or google calendar on any computer.

i could see how a nice external display could work well with a MBP as well, but i will sometimes work from different offices within my home and so it is nice to have different computers setup.

what size MBP do you have?

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
I like having a desktop for a central server, downloading etc, then I have a notebook as a "main" computer, right now I'm using a 15" MBP for my main machine and I use my MBA when I'm out, can't beat the size and weight.

KeriJane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
ЧИКАГО!
Oh No! Lots of Pooters!

Well, I technically own three Macs.
And a Netbook.
And a PC system in pieces for things like using DOS disk utilities.
The three Macs are:

1- My Mac Pro 1.1 - gets used for almost everything from surfing, Web development, Photoshop, Flash projects, Video Editing and even playing Zuma and Machinarium.

2- My Mac Mini 2.1 - in the guest bedroom. I intended to use this for email and surfing but.... I didn't. Yet.

3- An old G5 iMac bought broken with a dead Power Supply and scratched screen. It's now at Mom's house doing Digital Picture Frame impersonations.
It makes a really great Digital Picture Frame. Non-computering Mom loves it.

Ahhhhh! Pooters all over!

Have Fun,
Keri

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I used to use a desktop and laptop for awhile but I found the constant syncing annoying. I know there are tools that will do the syncing for you but syncing was just another chore I had to do. Technology is suppose to make our lives easier rather than creating more work. ;)

I also found it a very expensive thing to do since I couldn't get a cheap laptop because when I needed to work away from my desktop it was actually working and a slow cheap laptop would was not powerful enough.

I prefer a single laptop computer and if need to I'll hook it up to a larger external monitor on my desk. I've gone back and forth between this issue and have concluded that a one laptop computer is the way I like it. It's less expensive, less extra work like syncing, and it also takes up less desk space compared to my tower. If I didn't need the portability then I would have stayed with a one desktop computer setup.

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
iMac and a BlackBook.

I use the iMac as my main computer. I prefer be at a desk really and rarely need to have a computer away from it that I would need a notebook/monitor setup.

I got the MB for university. Now I've graduated I don't use it as much. Now it's mainly when I visit clients or if I ever want to surf the web away from my desk (like right now).

I have them both synced to each other (via WiFi) so can share files easily between them although I rarely need to do this since I almost never do 'proper' work on my MB. All my data really is in one place (the iMac.) I don't keep music or videos or documents on the MB.

It's useful to have a second computer when your other computer is occupied (rendering or encoding, etc) or if you have problems (like when my iMac HD was playing up a few months back.)

I have sometimes thought about only having a 17" MBP with a monitor but I just know that I wouldn't really use it portably enough and it would be weird to have use a portable as a desktop. Plus I would hate for my only computer to break or get stolen if I took it out. At least if something happened to my MB I wouldn't loose all my stuff or be computer-less.

I'm quite interested in getting a third computer, a netbook (something small and super light... inbetween an iPod touch and a MacBook) that I can take out regardless of whether I will need it. I only ever bring my MB out when I know I will need it.

entatlrg said:
Given the choice, what would you choose for your set up:

1. MacBook Pro and 24" ACD + MacBook Air (rev B 1.8,128ssd)

or

2. iMac(24") and 24" ACD + MacBook Pro, 15" + MacBook Air

or

3. MacBook Pro, 15" + 24" ACD (single computer set up)

4. iMac and ACD + MacBook Pro
Why would you want an iMac and a ACD?

Don't see any point is getting two portables (unless they were for very different purposes). I would recommend either:

- MacBook Pro w/ external display.

or

- iMac/Mac Pro + MacBook/MacBook Air

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I have 2 right now, and I'm trying to get rid of one (the iMac). I need all my stuff in one place.
Funny back when I posted this I had a 15" MBP, then I bought a 13" MBP, now I'm on a white Nvidia MacBook.... and the whole time I've kept the iMac.

I guess I will always need 2 computers. My iMac handles all my media/pics/music and has automatic TM backups. My MacBook is for on the go(everywhere I go) and takes physical abuse. That's why I have kept downgrading to get to the MacBook I am using today.

Even though I have downgraded to this MB, I still think it's an awesome machine. Especially cause it has the nvidia 9400m.

MonkeyET

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2009
Indio, CA
I currently have only the one mac, but I would prefer to have at least three. I have my iMac as the family staple. I want to get a macbook for my wife, and I want a 15" MBP for myself so I can record music on the go. Realistically I would want a mini for my kids to use and throw in another to use with my home theater setup so I can avoid DirecTV and cable.

I do have to admit the new PS3 streaming for Netflix is extremely convenient!!!

And I can only hope the Verizon iPhone rumors are true...

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
You can never have too many macs! :D

We've got five macs in permanent use in the house (currently a couple more but they're being sold). They all serve their purpose though.

For my personal use I've always preferred having a desktop and a laptop. At first I had a Mac Pro and an iBook in late 2006. I didn't really need the power when I was out and about and just wanted something small and cheap. The iBook became a MacBook a little while later for much the same reasons (although I wanted an Intel laptop so that things such as compilers could be the same). That stayed pretty much the same until last year when I got a MacBook Pro 15". My justification for that was that I started a new job and would be doing a lot more work on my laptop thus I wanted something with a bit more oomph and screen space.

I don't really find syncing my machines to be much of a problem. My desktop is very much my main machine and keeps all my data on it. Mobile Me sync makes sure all my bookmarks, keychains, calender items etc are all synced up. I don't sync all of my data and tend to have work files spread between my Mac Pro and my MBP but I can transfer anything I need via wifi/email. If I need to transfer any larger files then I hook things up via a gigabit ethernet cable.

I sync my iPhoto and iTunes libraries from my Mac Pro to my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro via some terminal scripts that I wrote (I put the instructions up on here a while ago). Changes made on the MBP or MM libraries don't get synced back but that's not a problem since I only ever maintain my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on my Mac Pro.

Having multiple machines vs one machine is of course a matter of preference and budget constraints. However, if anyone's considering a 17" MBP as their only machine then I always point out the fact that they could buy an entry level 13" MBP and a 21.5" iMac for the same amount of cash. If I was thinking of getting a 17" MBP I would instead get a Core i5 27" iMac and a second hand MacBook.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Currently have 2; it's pretty good. Most ideal set up would be 3 for me. Current have a Mac Pro and MacBook Air. Something like a 15" MacBook Pro for power on the go would fit in well. Of course I wouldn't use it a lot, so it would be a waste. Have a Mac mini, but I gave that one away, I technically only have 2 at the moment.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Two computers all the way for me.

Not only do I want a tower for all my heavy stuff, but I also like a notebook to lay in bed with and do whatever I need without having to be at the desk.

I also prefer to have a netbook as well for when I have to travel.

Keeping everything in sync is not an issue as my notebook can access my main computers hard drives at any time.

Not to mention if something happens to one computer I always have a backup. I can't afford to be without my computers for even a day.

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
However, if anyone's considering a 17" MBP as their only machine then I always point out the fact that they could buy an entry level 13" MBP and a 21.5" iMac for the same amount of cash. If I was thinking of getting a 17" MBP I would instead get a Core i5 27" iMac and a second hand MacBook.
That only works if you don't need a powerful laptop. From quickly reading some of the replies, it seems that people who like using more than one computer have the other computers for lighter usage. It's usually the laptop that is for lighter usage away from their desk.

My requirements are different. I needed a portable workhorse so the 13" MBP nor MacBook would have worked for me. The 13" screens were too small too but the better performance was what I needed. That makes it rather expensive to have two computers.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
One for now, but as my kids get older and use the desktop machine more, I am finding myself in need of a second machine, most likely going to be a 13 MBP

There was a study maybe a month or two ago that said of US households with a computer have 2.3 (or something close to that) of them in the house.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
At one time I had both an iMac and a MacBook, but ultimately sold the iMac because of two reasons. One was the fact that I never considered myself to be a laptop person, but soon after I got the MacBook, it turned out I definitely am. The other reason was the fact that maintaining data on two computers is a drag. Managing data on two separate computers is too much of a hassle. Had I known I would sell my iMac soon after getting the MacBook (the first aluminium unibody model), I would probably have gone for the 15" MacBook Pro, though.

ipodftw

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
imac, for when im home all other times im using mbp
signature_smiley.jpg

EndlessMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
There was a study maybe a month or two ago that said of US households with a computer have 2.3 (or something close to that) of them in the house.
Is that anyway related to the 2.5 kids US households have? ;)

I've noticed that some people have said one of their reasons was to have a backup computer in case something happens. I actually do something similar by keeping my previous laptop and then sell it off when it becomes the third computer. I get less money when I sell it this way but it is nice to have a backup computer. This thread is more about using more than one computer simultaneously though so my answer is still one. The backup computer doesn't get used unless I really need it.

Vikz

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I have three... Blackbook for college and plane trips, a macbook pro for everything else and a mac mini as the main desktop amd computer...

Should i sell the macbook?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
since we're talking mac collections: mac lc, newton, lpowerbook, tipowerbook, 12"powerbook, 15" powerbook, one of those cyanish powermac's, macbook pro 15", imac 23", and a 2009 mac pro... sheesh! (not even counting the ipods/iphones...)

... though i only use two mac's on a regular basis, the macbook pro and the mac pro. and I use the following to keep them synced/backed up:

-dropbox: for working files for current projects
-chronosync: for all personal files, including itunes and iphoto
-timemachine on the macpro: to ensure against hd failure
-another hd in another building for a backup of all personal/work files, to ensure against a break-in/fire

works just fine.
the main reason, besides hd space, for having a desktop and a laptop, is monitor space. I find a great benifit with working on multiple monitors (3 on my mac pro) for projects (3d rendering, video, photo) and a laptop just can't do that very easily. but that said, I could see myself happy with a 27" imac and a 13" macpro...

r.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Reading these posts I can see that there are a lot of you who prefer to have a laptop connected to a larger display, in order to have a desktop setup with the portability of a notebook. Up until last summer I was totally with you, but after having had this setup myself for a few months, I've decided to go the 2-computer route after all. The thing is, I like having a desktop for work when I'm at home, which is why I originally bought my external monitor. The MacBook monitor is just too small, and seeing as I don't have a TV in my room, the external monitor now fills that role with iTunes, Eyetv and Hulu. But, I also really like (and now miss) my MacBook the way it was - a portable solution that can be used anywhere. As a student, I'm constantly taking my computer back and forth with me to class, the library, etc. Constantly plugging every peripheral in and then unplugging it later the same day gets very old very fast! I missed the portability that my MacBook had before I got this setup, but still wanted the desktop setup as I'd grown accustomed to it for at-home work and movie watching. Hence, my decision to get a new mini, which I will probably buy within the next month or so. It will definitely be nice to not deal with the hassle of bringing the computer back and forth every day!

I guess it all depends on what we actually use our computers for. For someone who rarely needs to bring their computer with them, but would like the portability on the off-chance that they did, then I guess my current setup would work just fine. It's just not for me. :)

I plan on syncing only my documents and photo libraries between the two once I get the mini, which brings me to a couple of questions. First, can I save local copies of my iDisk on more than one computer for offline viewing? I do that now on my MacBook, but wasn't sure if having two computers with local copies would screw something up.

Second, is it possible to move a (small) iPhoto library to the local iDisk and point iPhoto to the new location, in order to keep the library in sync across both computers? I have a fast internet connection so that's not a concern for me, and my iPhoto library is very small (mostly just pics of family and friends taken with my iPhone and point-and-shoot).

Topher15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
London
Reading these posts I can see that there are a lot of you who prefer to have a laptop connected to a larger display, in order to have a desktop setup with the portability of a notebook. Up until last summer I was totally with you, but after having had this setup myself for a few months, I've decided to go the 2-computer route after all. The thing is, I like having a desktop for work when I'm at home, which is why I originally bought my external monitor. The MacBook monitor is just too small, and seeing as I don't have a TV in my room, the external monitor now fills that role with iTunes, Eyetv and Hulu. But, I also really like (and now miss) my MacBook the way it was - a portable solution that can be used anywhere. As a student, I'm constantly taking my computer back and forth with me to class, the library, etc. Constantly plugging every peripheral in and then unplugging it later the same day gets very old very fast! I missed the portability that my MacBook had before I got this setup, but still wanted the desktop setup as I'd grown accustomed to it for at-home work and movie watching. Hence, my decision to get a new mini, which I will probably buy within the next month or so. It will definitely be nice to not deal with the hassle of bringing the computer back and forth every day!
One of the benefits of the two computer set up is not having to shut down everything before you leave the house with your computer. I can leave everything running on my iMac so I can return to it later and just leave with my MacBook.

I plan on syncing only my documents and photo libraries between the two once I get the mini, which brings me to a couple of questions. First, can I save local copies of my iDisk on more than one computer for offline viewing? I do that now on my MacBook, but wasn't sure if having two computers with local copies would screw something up.

Second, is it possible to move a (small) iPhoto library to the local iDisk and point iPhoto to the new location, in order to keep the library in sync across both computers? I have a fast internet connection so that's not a concern for me, and my iPhoto library is very small (mostly just pics of family and friends taken with my iPhone and point-and-shoot).
I guess the first question is do you really need to have your documents/photos on both computers? If you do then why not just manually copy the documents you need when you need them and copy the photos when you've added a new load in.

I personally don't bother with ensuring my MB in always in sync with my iMac. I just manually copy as and when I need to.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
One of the benefits of the two computer set up is not having to shut down everything before you leave the house with your computer. I can leave everything running on my iMac so I can return to it later and just leave with my MacBook.

Exactly! It'll be so nice to just always have the desktop going if I wanted to do some movie encoding or something while I'm out, but to also have access to a laptop as well.

I guess the first question is do you really need to have your documents/photos on both computers? If you do then why not just manually copy the documents you need when you need them and copy the photos when you've added a new load in.

I personally don't bother with ensuring my MB in always in sync with my iMac. I just manually copy as and when I need to.

Well, I'd definitely want all of my word documents available to me on both machines. Once I get a desktop I'd probably be split 50/50 with the amount of work I do on each. Right now I keep all of my word documents on my iDisk, which is so helpful when I'm on a library computer and need to pull something, or looking for a document on my iPhone. As for my photos, I definitely don't need to have them in sync, but it'd just be nice if they were. I would love to be able to keep the library file on my local iDisk but don't want to risk screwing it up, so idk...

EDIT: What about using something like Sugar Sync or Live Mesh to keep folders in sync? At least with these options you wouldn't need to move the library to any other folder on the computer..

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Two computers are ideal.

For example you could have one main machine, if you want portability make the main machine a laptop. Use this for your work, hobbies, entertainment, active files, projects.

And a second machine for back up, storage, downloading, etc etc.

You could even sync the two if you wanted, but so far I prefer keeping two machines separate until either I get better at organizing and networking or the sync software gets a little better and easier to use :)

For me for work and play one main computer is best, but it's great to have the second for back ups/storage....

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Two computers are ideal.

For example you could have one main machine, if you want portability make the main machine a laptop. Use this for your work, hobbies, entertainment, active files, projects.

And a second machine for back up, storage, downloading, etc etc.

You could even sync the two if you wanted, but so far I prefer keeping two machines separate until either I get better at organizing and networking or the sync software gets a little better and easier to use :)

For me for work and play one main computer is best, but it's great to have the second for back ups/storage....

couldn't you accomplish just about all of this with one computer and an external hard drive (or multiple external hard drives)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.