Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Howell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
My boyfriend added a user account for me on his mac book pro, in hopes that i could sync my itouch and get it updated and all that jazz. When it went to sync it said to me : "The iPod "RR's IPod" is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iPods library?" ... Now, even though i'm my own user it'll erase what i've got and sync with his iTunes? this isn't a bad thing as he's got an @ssload more music than I do, but I just wanna know that that's what's going to happen. ...

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
first of all, if you sync to another library you will lose whatever you have on there currently. save that data first before you do anything.

secondly, when you say he added you as a user, do you mean you are a user on his OSX or you have a different user account in itunes?

pintsizemacman

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
ohio
go to ur ipod icon in itunes and then click manully manage music . then make a playlist and drag all the songs u want to keep into the playlist.:)

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
go to ur ipod icon in itunes and then click manully manage music . then make a playlist and drag all the songs u want to keep into the playlist.:)

this doesn't sound right. if you click that option and hit apply, it will erase the contents of the ipod.

R.Howell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
first of all, if you sync to another library you will lose whatever you have on there currently. save that data first before you do anything.

secondly, when you say he added you as a user, do you mean you are a user on his OSX or you have a different user account in itunes?

I would assume on his OSX, because that was our thought process, a user would have their own iTunes ... and how exactly do i need to save my data?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I would assume on his OSX, because that was our thought process, a user would have their own iTunes ... and how exactly do i need to save my data?

you can use an app like senuti or expod to get the data off your ipod. you can then re-import everything to your new library.

gotta get back to you on the other part.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
ok, so if you use separate accounts, and want to share each others' libraries, you have to place the itunes media folder in a public place.

help can be found here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.