One Mac vs. Two Macs? Hmm...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lotzosushi, Mar 14, 2009.

1. lotzosushi macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

So, I currently have a 15.4" 2.4GHz 4gb ram Macbook Pro unibody. I'm thinking about selling it and getting either of the following combinations:

Combo #1:
    24" 2.66GHz iMac. 4GB ram. 1TB HD. GeForce 9400M
    and
    refurb MacBook Air 1.8GHz. 2GB ram. 80GB HD. Intel GMA X3100

or

Combo #2:
    24" 2.66GHz iMac. 4GB ram. 1TB HD. GeForce 9400M
    and
    refurb unibody MacBook 2.0GHz. 2GB ram. 160GB HD. GeForce 9400M

or possibly just get a
    17" unibody MacBook Pro 2.66GHz. 4GB ram. 500GB HD. GeForce 9400/9600
    (though I'm not too fond of the 17" size and all the problems people have been reporting)

I'm not too sure, I mostly do basic work but I ALWAYS have iChat, Safari, iTunes, Photoshop CS4 and a few other background apps running. I'm just worried if I get either of the iMac/laptop combos it won't be the same. I kinda like my current 15" MacBook Pro. I'm also going to be learning Final Cut Studio 2 very soon so I need something that can process it fine. Do you think the iMac will be enough to do my main hard work and I'll use an Air or MacBook for my portable classroom work/presentations? :confused: Thanks~

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The iMac is more powerful than the MacBook Pro, though only marginally. The only place the Pro outperforms it is in graphics, and that's only important if you're running 3D modelling programs or Motion (which it sounds like you might be in the near future). The 9400M will handle those kinds of tasks, but the card in the Pro will be better.

I would consider getting an external monitor (new 24" Apple display?) and keeping the MacBook Pro. You'll save money, and not have to worry about syncing stuff between two machines. If you find yourself still really wanting something portable, you can pick up an MSI Wind or Dell Mini 9 cheap, and both run OSX just fine if you're so inclined.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I never was a big proponent of buying two computers at the same time. It just means that you are going to want to replace them both at once after getting half the use out of them.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

For what you plan on doing, keeping the Macbook Pro seems like your best option. Final Cut Studio will be much more usable with a 9600m vs. the 9400m. Also, with the advent of Snow Leopard, a dedicated card may be of more use to you. I would follow the advice Demosthenes X gave you and just get an external monitor and use your MBP as a laptop when you need to (or get netbook if the MBP is too big). That will likely be a much better solution and you won't have to worry about keeping files synced, etc between machines.

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I'm a huge iMac fan, but I would have to agree with the consensus here and say it would be better to keep your MBP and add a display.

6. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I like having an external display as I only have to install applications once, and don't need to copy files across. The only downside is performance.

If you need the extra performance, then the only way is a desktop.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Brilliant!

8. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

Combo #2

The one with the Macbook and the 24" iMac.

I wouldn't mess with any refurb Airs since they are having problems with the hinges and Apple isn't covering it. And the macbook is less than an inch thin.

If I was planning to upgrade now I would do exactly that.

Of course, if Apple offered a netbook I would do that and a 24 incher.

9. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I am not a fan of iMacs because Apple sells LAPTOPS with more expansion. You already have more expansion with your MacBook Pro than you would get with an iMac

Keep your MacBook Pro. Get a 24 inch monitor and an express card esata controller and a esata RAID external HD or if you want better graphics get a express card video card and a FW 800 RAID HD

10. lotzosushi thread starter macrumors 6502

lotzosushi

Hmm, thanks guys I appreciate the input. I think I'm just gonna keep the MacBook Pro for now. I already have an Acer 22" external monitor at the moment that I occasionally use with the MacBook Pro. I got it for $130 last December on sale, which is way cheaper than the Cinema Display from Apple. :/ Though the iMac is really tempting though haha

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

ACDs are amazingly overpriced. Anyway, just remember that your MBP doesn't run any slower just because you didn't get something new :p