Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killsuburbia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2008
Akron, OH
Odd problem, Apple seems unable/unwilling to help.

Bought an Airport Extreme a few weeks ago. Does the wireless thing nicely with good speed, shares a printer and an external HDD. All peachy.

One glitch, though: my wife and I have matching MacBooks. I can be surfing along just fine, until she decides to turn on her MacBook and get online. When that happens, even though I'm still connected wirelessly to the Airport Extreme, my internet connection fails.

If I go into Network Preferences and go through the "Assist Me..." dialog, my internet will work again... until my wife decides to load another page online, then I'm off again.

My Airport Extreme is set up to allow DHCP and to share an IP address. The Apple Support folks on the phone said they don't understand the problem, because that is all they knew to do. I've also reset the Airport about a dozen times.

I wonder if it's something wrong with my MacBook. I mean, I do generally use it around 15-16 hours per day (purchased in January), so could the Airport receiver have already crapped out or something? Her computer, lightly used maybe an hour a day, always connects to the web perfectly.

Any help is appreciated!

Jeegan

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2005
I had a similar problem with my wife's new Macbook she just got. My Gateway could surf no problem but her Macbook couldn't, unless I reset it up then it could, but only half-way load pages. I ended up having to manually add the DNS servers of our ISP to her wireless connection and that solved the problem. Not sure if that will work for yours, but you might check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.