One managed user account not working

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by AtlasCrush, Jan 26, 2014.

1. AtlasCrush macrumors newbie

Hi. To be up front, I am a user who has very little knowledge/understanding of the workings of any computer, Mac or not. Go easy on me :eek:

I updated the iMac to Mavericks on Wednesday (2011, was still running Lion, I think). There is the admin account and 3 user accounts, 2 of which are managed for the kids. Everything seems to be working alright except for 1 of the managed accounts. When I log in, none of the apps will open. They make a 'barnk' noise when I try and nothing happens.

As it happens, this account is my teenager's and there is homework to be done. Can anyone give me a steer?

Thanks

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

you might first use Disk Utility to verify the disk and repair the permissions, then restart.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this. command-r boot to recovery then launch Terminal from the Utilities menu. Type in resetpassword (all one word). You will get the screen below. Select Macintosh HD then select the troubled user account from the drop down list just below that. Then click Reset at the lower right. This will reset the ACLs and folder permissions for the account.

Also, while you are in recovery, go ahead and start Disk Utility and do a repair disk (although I doubt that is the trouble).

If that does not fix it, look in the login items for that account in System Prefs under Users & Groups to see if there is something set as a login item for that account and not the others that may be causing a conflict with Mavs.

[​IMG]

4. AtlasCrush thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Weaselboy and Bruno09. I will try these after the kids are in bed. As an experiment this morning I created another account that worked (standard) and one that didn't (managed) so it is something to do with the parental control permissions.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are onto something there. I recall there is a setting in parental controls to only allow specific apps to run.