One man's garbage is another man's....

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Flybye, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Flybye macrumors regular

computer? :D

So I've been slowly trying to consider what to get my 6yr old for his first :apple:. No internet, of course. One day in the middle of the week, I decided to haul a bunch of yard trash to the local dump site. This site also collects electronics, appliances, etc.

As always, I like to take a peak at the computer stuff people throw away. So as I am driving in, I take a glancer, and....oh my....what is that? It was a PowerMac in almost perfect condition! I mean, it wasn't smashed, torn apart, nothing at all. A few scratches here and there, but no broken exterior pieces anywhere. I was too curious to see if she still worked. Picked it up, dumped my trash and raced home.

LOL! The freakin thing booted straight into Panther! Played with it for an hour making sure it wasn't going to bust in a ball of fire, and have had absolutely no hiccups!

But I can see why she was tossed away.
    Specs when I found her:
    OS X 10.3 Panther
    466mhz PowerPC CPU
    512mb of PC133 SDRAM
    20gb IBM Deathstar Harddrive
    ATI Rage Pro AGP Video Card
    CD-RW

Not very powerful. But guess what? It is PERFECT for a 6yr old! Looked for a few spare parts around the house, and she is now upgraded.

She has been updated with:
    OS X 10.4 Tiger
    OS 9.2 (for running a few classic games)
    1.25gb of Ram
    60gb Samsung Harddrive
    DVD-ROM
    4 slot Siig USB PCI card

I spent maybe $50 on a ton of educational games on eBay and for an Apple keyboard and mouse. Got him all sorts of goodies like math games, reading games, Oregon Trail, nature games, physics games, clues finders, and a ton of other things. No giving him internet just yet, so I had to make sure he is kept super busy other ways. He has been using it for several weeks already and he is loving it. He plays his games on it and watches his movies in his room with the 17" Compaq CRT it is connected to. With the apps he does, this baby doesn't feel slow at all.

I now routinely look at the computer recycling area. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seadragon Contributor

Those were great machines. I have the exact same unit only mine is 400 MHz. Purchased in 1999, it is still in use today running OS-9 with Corel Wordperfect! They were built very well and certainly stood the test of time.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I miss those cases. I always thought they were absolutely gorgeous.

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

awesome find, and still a awesome computer, wish mine still worked haha be interesting to see if any one transplants a mac mini into a G4 case haha

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

haha nice pick up! my wife was at a yard sale last year, and there was a B&W G3 there for $25! and she came home without it! but she told me about it, and i got her to go back and get it. they thought they were smooth, cuz it wouldn't boot up at first. but i fixed her up. running tiger now (came with 10.2)

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I always look in the computer section too :) however no one around me is classy enough to chuck away a Mac unfortunately.

Great find, bet your 6 year old is stoked.

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Ah yes. I spent many quality hours trying to help Mary avoid getting Typhus along the Oregon Trail during typing class.

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
  9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...looks like you got a good deal, enjoy your new machine!