Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Okay. Maybe not a million dollars in actual cash - it's more a poetic metaphor for my gratitude, should you be able to help me fix this annoying [bad word] nuisance.

I have a Mac Mini, OSX 10.7.5, running iTunes 12.2.2.25.

I recently bought the biggest iPod Touch, hooked it up, worked like a charm. Very pleased. Then it started pestering me to update to the latest OS, 10.2. And I did a very stupid thing - against all my better judgement and bitter experience I tapped "update". It seemed okay until I tried plugging the frigging thing into my computer to do a manual synch with iTunes, when I got the typically Macintosh slap-in-the-face pane telling me (very usefully) that:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Old Fool's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device".

Imagine my delight, the zen-like calm I brought to bear on the problem. W the actual F?

My first response was to copy this message into Google. Astonishingly, I'm not the only person to have received this kick in the nuts from the mind-hive genius that is Apple Macintosh. But as to sorting it out, nobody seems to have a clue. Including Tim Cook.

For what it's worth, here's what I've tried:

- Tapping the pointless "trust this computer" button that taunts you on the iPod. It does nothing. Every time. Thanks!

- Quitting, turning off, unplugging, replugging, turning back on, trying different USB ports, rebooting, everything. Not just my computer and iPod - the toaster, the fridge, the water pump in the fishpond. Everything I could turn off and on again (including my poor wife) has been turned off and on again. Please don't suggest I do any of this again because I will break out in fits of great, wracking sobs.

- Reinstalling the laughably-named IOS "upgrade" from the internets. Kicking self in backside.

- Searching the same internets for an answer that is a) relevant, b) up-to-date and c) not written by some clueless twelve-year old seeking respect.

So there you have it. I'm about to throw the whole thing into the river. I will never buy another Mac product. I know I've said this before but this time I mean it, goshdarn it.

But that million dollars (or its equivalent in gratitude) could be yours!

Reactions: arkitect

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010
Oh hai million dollars where? :p
You seem to be running an old OS and iTunes... I'd start by updating them as much as possible.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
Hi :)

I am just here for the money, not to actually help lol ;)

The latest, just released ios version is 10.1, not 10.2

so you must have an ipod touch 6g. which ios version was installed when the touch was working fine with itunes?

there seems to be an incompatibility issue with the latest ios release and the itunes version you are running on your mini

you can either try to upgrade itunes or downgrade your ipod to ios 9.3.5 (if still possibile)

if this helps let me know and I give you my bank details ;)

edit: just noticed, the downgrade to 9.3.5 is not an option anymore, so try to upgrade itunes

Reactions: arkitect

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Okay. Maybe not a million dollars in actual cash - it's more a poetic metaphor for my gratitude, should you be able to help me fix this annoying [bad word] nuisance.

I have a Mac Mini, OSX 10.7.5, running iTunes 12.2.2.25.

I recently bought the biggest iPod Touch, hooked it up, worked like a charm. Very pleased. Then it started pestering me to update to the latest OS, 10.2. And I did a very stupid thing - against all my better judgement and bitter experience I tapped "update". It seemed okay until I tried plugging the frigging thing into my computer to do a manual synch with iTunes, when I got the typically Macintosh slap-in-the-face pane telling me (very usefully) that:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPod touch "Old Fool's iPod" because an invalid response was received from the device".

Imagine my delight, the zen-like calm I brought to bear on the problem. W the actual F?

My first response was to copy this message into Google. Astonishingly, I'm not the only person to have received this kick in the nuts from the mind-hive genius that is Apple Macintosh. But as to sorting it out, nobody seems to have a clue. Including Tim Cook.

For what it's worth, here's what I've tried:

- Tapping the pointless "trust this computer" button that taunts you on the iPod. It does nothing. Every time. Thanks!

- Quitting, turning off, unplugging, replugging, turning back on, trying different USB ports, rebooting, everything. Not just my computer and iPod - the toaster, the fridge, the water pump in the fishpond. Everything I could turn off and on again (including my poor wife) has been turned off and on again. Please don't suggest I do any of this again because I will break out in fits of great, wracking sobs.

- Reinstalling the laughably-named IOS "upgrade" from the internets. Kicking self in backside.

- Searching the same internets for an answer that is a) relevant, b) up-to-date and c) not written by some clueless twelve-year old seeking respect.

So there you have it. I'm about to throw the whole thing into the river. I will never buy another Mac product. I know I've said this before but this time I mean it, goshdarn it.

But that million dollars (or its equivalent in gratitude) could be yours!
I'm sorry I can't help.
But that was a lovely read.
Thanks. :)

Reactions: arefbe and macs4nw

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you've recently bought it, then you should call Apple for help. It's still under warranty, right?

If you live near an Apple Store, get an appointment and they'll sort it out.

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Thanks for these replies. Updating the OS of my Mac Mini and iTunes isn't as simple as it sounds. I live in Thailand, where I can't get an App Store account, for some reason. Also I have a precious collection of old apps that I "found" on the internet which I'm sure would all run away screaming if I forced a new OS on them. Also, when I check on available software updates, I'm told there aren't any (including iTunes).

I bought the iPod from a shop where they know that a Mac is different to a PC because it's more expensive, and that's about the limit of their technical knowledge. Also - no English spoken. I'd have to take my Mac and my iPod in, and then they'd just start switching everything off and switching it back on again and eventually shrug and smile and hand it all back to me. And then I'd have to kill them. A bit like Macintosh on-line help.

What really, really p1sses me off is that nowhere is it mentioned if you install this update there's a chance you'll turn your iPod into a locked jukebox, so do check that you're running compatible systems. Nuts and no thanks at all to Apple Macintosh and Tim Cook, the Cupertino Cthulhu.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Thanks for these replies. Updating the OS of my Mac Mini and iTunes isn't as simple as it sounds. I live in Thailand, where I can't get an App Store account, for some reason. Also I have a precious collection of old apps that I "found" on the internet which I'm sure would all run away screaming if I forced a new OS on them. Also, when I check on available software updates, I'm told there aren't any (including iTunes).

I bought the iPod from a shop where they know that a Mac is different to a PC because it's more expensive, and that's about the limit of their technical knowledge. Also - no English spoken. I'd have to take my Mac and my iPod in, and then they'd just start switching everything off and switching it back on again and eventually shrug and smile and hand it all back to me. And then I'd have to kill them. A bit like Macintosh on-line help.

What really, really p1sses me off is that nowhere is it mentioned if you install this update there's a chance you'll turn your iPod into a locked jukebox, so do check that you're running compatible systems. Nuts and no thanks at all to Apple Macintosh and Tim Cook, the Cupertino Cthulhu.
Apple has a support number in Thailand. If you can't find any solution via this forum or google searches, you could try calling them.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Good Luck

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The problem is that you need a version of iTunes which is compatible with iOS 10. Unfortunately iTunes 12.2.2.25 is not. It would normally be a simple matter of updating itunes, but since you are running OS X 10.7.5 itunes 12.2.2.25 is the newest version available for that version of OS X. Depending on the version of Mac mini you have you may or may not be able to upgrade to a newer version of OS X (or macOS as the latest version is called).

Reactions: ChrisChaval

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
The problem is that I attempted to "update" something; to join that insane rush to fix what ain't broke that infects the industry. I went, as I said, against my better judgement and got biblically punished for it. I'll use my iPod as a jukebox, and drive my Mac Mini into the ground.

(What the world needs now is not love, sweet love, but a third wave of computer evolution. Macintosh is becoming a jewellery/accessory line, making stylistic tweaks ("updates") to products that are getting a bit long in the tooth. A new company, a new OS as radical - and as simply intuitive - as Mac's was back when we all felli love with it. That's what I'd buy.)

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Downgrade your iPod touch back to 9.3. Follow the directions in this link:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-10-beta-to-ios-9.x-tutorial/

Assuming this works, I'll take my million dollars in $20 bills, delivered in a briefcase. Thank you. :)
Too late, Apple is no longer signing versions older than iOS 10.0.2 so that won't work. Also, iOS 9 also won't work with iTunes 12.2.2.25 anyway. I'm assuming that since it initially worked with the version of iTunes he had he managed to buy one that still had iOS 8.4 installed on it (the version that the iPod Touch 6th Gen would have initially shipped with) since that is the last version of iOS that was compatible with iTunes 12.2.2.

Reactions: ChrisChaval

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Downgrade your iPod touch back to 9.3. Follow the directions in this link:

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-downgrade-ios-10-beta-to-ios-9.x-tutorial/

Assuming this works, I'll take my million dollars in $20 bills, delivered in a briefcase. Thank you. :)

Wow. That's some scary stuff. I'm downloading the relevant file - thing - right now. Then I'm going to try to follow the instructions. I'm not thanking you yet, because I may have to come and cry on your lawn until you apologise.
[doublepost=1477701529][/doublepost]
Too late, Apple is no longer signing versions older than iOS 10.0.2 so that won't work. Also, iOS 9 also won't work with iTunes 12.2.2.25 anyway. I'm assuming that since it initially worked with the version of iTunes he had he managed to buy one that still had iOS 8.4 installed on it (the version that the iPod Touch 6th Gen would have initially shipped with) since that is the last version of iOS that was compatible with iTunes 12.2.2.

Phew. That was close. Thank 'ee. Download canceled. Morning freed up to de-louse dogs.

bent00

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
Barring a miraculous ability to downgrade your iPod, you'll have to bite the bullet and either:

trade your iPod to someone who is still running the old iOS (or buy one & sell yours)

or

buy an external HD for your mini, install new OS on that (have someone send you a thumb drive with El Cap or Sierra install on it) and boot into that for your iPod, boot normally for all of your other apps.

Last edited:

MacUser09

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2009
UK
A couple of similarities with you.

Firstly, let me say that I noticed this week that I also got the update to 10.2 message,even though it was 10.1 once downloaded. On an iPhone 6S and on an iPad.
Secondly, I am also in Thailand.

All went ok on my 6S+ and my 9.7 iPad, but my iPad Mini, got a similar "invalid response" message as you when trying to update via iTunes connected to my MBP. I just unplugged, shut down, restarted everything, and all went well second time.

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
A couple of similarities with you.

Firstly, let me say that I noticed this week that I also got the update to 10.2 message,even though it was 10.1 once downloaded. On an iPhone 6S and on an iPad.
Secondly, I am also in Thailand.

All went ok on my 6S+ and my 9.7 iPad, but my iPad Mini, got a similar "invalid response" message as you when trying to update via iTunes connected to my MBP. I just unplugged, shut down, restarted everything, and all went well second time.

I'm happy for you!
[doublepost=1477709892][/doublepost]
Barring a miraculous ability to downgrade your iPod, you'll have to bite the bullet and either:

trade your iPod to someone who is still running the old iOS (or buy one & sell yours)

or

buy an external HD for your mini, install new OS on that (have someone send you a thumb drive with El Cap or Sierra install on it) and boot into that for your iPod, boot normally for all of your other apps.

Thank you, but that seems like a lot of trouble to go to, and if I know me as well as I think I do, trouble my input won't lessen.

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Wait for a jailbreak to come out, and then you can activate the iPod touch without apple. Syncing to the computer might not work, but you can just use iCloud.

Old Fool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
That million dollars has been depleted considerably by my gratitude for all your replies, but I'm basically stuck with a jukebox. Luckily I loaded it to the brim before I "updated" it.

(Cooling to my theme; any company where the "air bud" got past the wild brainstorming stage is a company which should file for creative bankruptcy. Earbud cables stop them becoming separated, falling to the ground, and enable universal connectivity without Bluetooth pairing or recharging. These are features, not failings. And don't get me started on the watch ...)

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That million dollars has been depleted considerably by my gratitude for all your replies, but I'm basically stuck with a jukebox. Luckily I loaded it to the brim before I "updated" it.

(Cooling to my theme; any company where the "air bud" got past the wild brainstorming stage is a company which should file for creative bankruptcy. Earbud cables stop them becoming separated, falling to the ground, and enable universal connectivity without Bluetooth pairing or recharging. These are features, not failings. And don't get me started on the watch ...)
Not sure if you were aware but if you have access to wifi you can add music (and apps) without syncing it to a computer.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
There are many mac minis out there that are more than five years old.

(Mine is from late 09)

This is really sad. It really is.

Let us show some courage and ditch our old pathetic machines :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.