One Missing Pixel :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by EnzoAmata, Dec 11, 2010.

1. EnzoAmata macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I've heard in their disclaimer that you can't do anything about it but just knowing it's there is annoying.

:(

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

You've heard wrong. What you've read about are their official GUIDELINES, but they are not actually hard rules. People can and do get their apple products replaced due to a single dead pixel. Just bring it into the apple store and act friendly and humble to the apple genius and he may choose to give you a replacement.

3. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

I think I'll give them a phone before dragging my 27" into the store though.

4. viizi macrumors regular

just bring a few screaming children with you and try to manage them while talking to the guy and he might feel sympathetic for you and replace :)

5. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

lol - really though where do I stand on this issue? I've just loaded it up with all the stuff I want and I don't know if I can be bothered porting, is there an easy way to port all the settings?

6. simsaladimbamba

Make a clone via CarbonCopyCloner to an external HDD (needs to be formatted in HFS+ - Mac OS Extended) and clone the contents back onto a hopefully new iMac.

7. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

8. AndyMoore macrumors 6502

AndyMoore

When did you buy it?

Being close to the Christmas period, there is an extended time when you can return items rather then the 14 days standard allowance when purchasing online, returns can be made up to early January. Not sure what the allowance is when buying in the store, but being Christmas, they may be more willing to help you out.

If you've bought it online and it's within 14 days, you can return it with out giving ANY reason. No problem. No restocking fee.

9. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

i would leave it as it is, its one dead pixel. i would feell ike i was exploiting the company because of a single pixel.

10. ZenErik, Dec 11, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

ZenErik macrumors 6502

I would exchange it. If they tried to deny me, I would simply tell them that I would never purchase another Apple product (whether that's true or not is another story). That might seem silly to some, but staring at a screen with a dead pixel every day would bother me greatly and definitely impact the resale value. :(

11. armada120 macrumors newbie

It is not exploiting. It is a ~$2000 machine. If it is not perfect, I would certainly want a refund. Thankfully though, my refurbished i3 iMac 21.5" is perfect!

12. Dnix macrumors 6502

1 pixel out of 3.6 some million is good. They likely wont do anything, but you can try.

I have 2 or 3 dead pixels in a lower corner of my screen. I was fussy about it at first, but soon forgot about it because they're MICROSCOPIC. You have to set the background to a solid color, and stick your face literally in the screen to even see them.

This is the first time I've even thought of it since I got the computer. I realize now how lame I was for getting so upset about it.

If its off to the side somewhere, you'll probably forget about it. If its actually a thick CLUSTER of pixels dead in the middle I would maybe do something. But 1 ?

13. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Sorry, but to me, this is an example of yobbish behaviour that deserves to solicit a non-cooperative response from staff at the Apple Store!

14. ZenErik macrumors 6502

If you pay a premium price, you deserve a premium product. I don't think it is at all unreasonable.

15. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Nothing wrong with the objective. Just the way of attempting to achieve it.

16. EnzoAmata thread starter macrumors regular

EnzoAmata

Called Apple they are arranging a return no questions asked. Just explained the pixel and the screen alignment and they are sending a currier. :)