One mistake by Apple on THE NEW IPAD!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jovadele, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jovadele macrumors newbie

if siri functionality of the iPhone 4s was on the iPad i would be very happy. It would allow me to use the device as personal assistant. Something that i would value more than a upgrade in display resolution. By not releasing today Siri on iPad but only dictation it seems that the iPad fail the mark in progress if you compare it to the development of the iPhone4s.
    In my opinion the iPad should have more functionality features than the iPhone, logically if the tablet market is taking over the pc market. For me as user i have to wait till Siri is fully adapted into iOS for iPad before i feel comfortable buying it. Just because the iPhone 4s offers more a better camera, also retina, complete Siri while the iPad have lesser camera quality and no siri.
    Not knowing what Steve job will do but if apple is stretching their technology knowledge advancements which can be adopted into products on the shelf to generate more money by just releasing minor features. Something that would go against apple's philosophy in the time apple versus windows. Seem their is oppurtunnity in the tablet market for Siri like service, how longer apple is holding out on their iPad device with Siri other tablet makers could start releasing such innovation.
    They can prove to court that iPhone works with sire but not iPad. Which mean apple could hold back this technology advancement. Holding back technology in devices is aloud but if another company produce a tablet with Siri like technology they could convince court that apple is holding back so that other companies can not compete wit their iPad product.......What will Steve Job think....?

Note someone told me that siri is not on the iPad because the iPad needs 24/7 data 4g connection like the iPhone 4s.

Did is what i found as reality of the iPad versus iPhone 4s using Siri or not.
    How you have automatic switching for graphics on mbp. How hard is it to create such fuctionality for wifi and 4glte on iPad. When you start speaking with siri it switch from wifi to 4glte.
    iPhone 4s data usage for use with Siri is not as much as people may think. Therefor 1-2gb bandwidth allowance should be sufficient enough in the most extreme way of usage.

it is a fiction excuse that full-time connectivity is needed to have Siri working. iPhone 4s is capable of switching between wifi and 4g also.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you ever turned off all data connections on a 4S and ask Siri something? It won't work because it doesn't have a connection. The data connection is a necessary requirement for Siri. Without it, Siri can't even start playing your iPod music.

3. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Maybe they didn't want to extend siri to another device while it is still in beta stage?

4. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

This.

They may add support to the new iPad in a later time period.

/bradllez

5. jovadele thread starter macrumors newbie

With a iPad that has 4glte connection it should not be problem. Like my iPhone 4s i have to ensure that my data 4g connection is on to have siri working. Something that could be implemented on the iPad as well. iPad wifi no siri and iPad wifi/4glte with siri.

6. docgerrard macrumors 6502

i don't think they can keep using siri being in the beta stages as an excuse

imo it works perfectly fine, and a company like apple would never release something in the "beta" stage to so many users already (4s)

plus, if i'm not mistaken, there haven't been many steps to move from beta to official release like there is for everything else in the beta stage

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Not everyone that buys a cellular iPad uses the cellular data connection all the time or at all. Then there would be people complaining that Apple isn't giving their WiFi only iPad all the software features that the cellular one is getting. There are some other features that only the iPhone has that the iPad and iPod Touch lack as well.

8. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Stop being logical!! You're making too much sense!!!

9. iDvisic macrumors member

This. The inclusion of a dictation button on the new iPad--previously only present on the 4S, of all iOS devices--is, IMO, a subtle hint by Apple that Siri is on her way. I.E., the mic has sufficient noise canceling ability and sensitivity to handle Siri. Right now, Siri apologizes to me almost as much as she works. The system isn't ready to handle another several million devices yet.

But...it will be. :)

-->iDv.

10. jovadele thread starter macrumors newbie

But know they have people complaining that a iPhone 4's offer more features for a similar price that the iPad. Secondly iPad and iPad Pro....?
    Anyway imagine how may people will start using their iPad in a way that it become their personal assistant instead of hiring one. iPhone 4s offers it but iPad with siri would have given it a real futuristic professional product.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4 doesn't offer any more features over the iPad 3. If any it offers less. It is very unlikely that Apple would split their highest grossing product with a Pro and non-Pro lineup. Imagine how many people would be filling this forums asking "Can my WiFi only iPad get Siri?" or "Why does Siri only work when I have my cellular radio turned on?" or "Why can't I use Siri on my WiFi iPad in my car like on my iPhone?". Hardly futuristic if something only works within a small radius around a WiFi access point.

12. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think it is more of a problem of their servers handling all the traffic.
    There are still many people complaint that Siri is down on the iPhone and now imagine if they add 15 million new iPads to that over night.
    I think the full implementation of siri will come to the iPad in short order.
    Also since all the main parts are there it will be a cakewalk once there is a jailbreak.

13. jovadele thread starter macrumors newbie

siri not on iPad why.....?

Their is only one good reason for Apple to hold back with Siri on iPad if they are developing a way that Siri will be working on Wifi connection as well.

Secondly with all the money that apple has it should not be a problem to have more servers to manage the new load of users with Siri.

By not speeding the process in having siri as fast as possible on all mac devices .Apple start the tremble on its own growth. Because with al of apple software products it was release when compatible with most devices within next generations of releasing into public like safari, iPhoto, iMovie etc. What made the devices work with echoer and without. iCloud same story.

Siri should not have been release on the iPhone if it could not follow onto other devices when updated like the currently iPad.

----------

Not the iPhone 4 the iPhone 4s

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Siri does work over WiFi. Put a 4S into Airplane Mode and turn on just the WiFi and connect to an access point. Siri will work as it needs a working internet connection. This internet connection can be WiFi, EDGE, or 3G.

The iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad are in different feature set trees. One may not get everything the other gets. Be the reason software, hardware, or marketing.

15. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

The steps to go from beta to official release is a matter of getting millions upon millions of voice analyzations, which is what they are doing with the 4s. While siri works great in american english, it isn't nearly as good for british english, then theres german and french plus now with japanese (apple still needs a lot more data for siri to be where they want it to be. I suspect siri will exit beta for iOS6

16. Stefx73 macrumors regular

Siri was funny the first few days I got my iPhone 4S, trying the easter eggs.

Haven't used it since then.

17. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

An iPhone is a personal device, where Siri can be your personal assistant, whereas to a lot of people there is one iPad to a family, yes some have more, but it's not like it is with iPhones, therefore who does Siri remember?

Maybe when/if they come up with some sort of way around this, perhaps with voice recognition, Siri will come to iPad.

But also as others have mentioned, as soon as you leave your house with a WiFi pad Siri would be useless, and the average consumer may find this odd, confusing and annoying. So we may never see a fully fledged Siri on iPad.

18. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

until apple releases a way to have multiple users on an ipad i dont think they intend it to be a "family" device. no way would i want my room mates to just grab and use my iPad when photostream just syncs all my photos lol. But then again i guess its different since we all have ipads

19. nfl46 macrumors 604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't believe you wanted Siri over an upgrade resolution...

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

21. motoleo, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

How long can the 'new iPad' be called new iPad? Are people still going to be calling it new by this time next year?

Obviously the 'new' is going to drop from the name within a few months.

22. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I think Siri would be cool to have, I don't understand the argument that it's not appropriate for an iPad.

But retina display is much more important of an upgrade.

Sometimes companies hold back features, it's usually a good assumption that they know what they're doing -- they didn't forget about the competition.

----------

That makes no sense -- should they also wait 5 years until it works a lot better?

23. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

People will always complain about something. People were complaining about camera quality - now some people are complaining about the upgrade to the rear camera because they dont personally use it.

And I haven't used Siri yet, but I can't imagine it has enough functionality to replace a real live assistant. Siri can't run out and pick up your coffee and dry cleaning!

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Except that all iPhones have wireless + WiFi data capability but not all iPads do. Siri does not work without an Internet connection. That's just fact.

But that is probably not the reason why Siri isn't on the iPad. The likely reasons are that:

1) Siri is still in beta and isn't even rolled out in most countries where the iPhone 4s is available. Apple's priority is to get it working on 100% of iPhone 4Ses worldwide.

2) Siri uses a lot of server capacity and has been overloaded with just servicing the iPhone 4S. It couldn't handle adding 20m new iPad users too.

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sooner than that !

Most site, placed and people are already calling it the iPad 3.