Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlakeBrattina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Bay City, MI
Hey everyone,

I was curious to see if anyone else is having the same issue I am with their MacBook Pro fan going on very often when watching a YouTube video or things of the like. Typically when I am on my computer I will have Firefox running (3-4 tabs), iTunes and possibly Ichat or something. I'm getting the feeling that this should not be enough to get my fan running on full blast, or maybe the design and built in fan are just meant to do that. I know one of my friends in SanFran is having issues with his MBP getting crazy hot as well.

Any insight?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd be more worried if the fans did not ramp up.

Get the iStat pro widget so you can see the temps of your laptop and the fan speed.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thank you for your response. I have downloaded the widget and will check up whenever the fan starts to buzz.

Are you by any chance watching lot of flash based videos in firefox? That really gets the processor going and generates lots of heat, which means the fan will speed up to cool the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.