One more day until G5 Updates?

scu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Well, that is what TS is telling us. How do you all feel about having a mere 24 hours to contemplate the possibility of suddenly updating your systems? :)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Great now I'm gonna stay up all night seeing when they close the Apple Store. But I'm excited! (Maybe an iBook G5 will be seen lol, or a PB G5)

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't think TS is saying that. I just looked, and all they have is the PowerMac/iMac/eMac updates within a few days of Tiger, so late April/early May.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
You should change the thread title slightly too:

"One more day until 90% of the people who have been whining about no PM updates now get to start threads about how lame the new updated machines are."

:D

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It was actually AppleInsider that reported on April 17th being the date:
'The invitation-only event will kick-off Sunday, April 17th at 11:00 a.m. PST at the Rivoli Ballroom of the Paris Las Vegas Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. Apple has dubbed the event "The Production Value of HD." '

scu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
James L said:
You should change the thread title slightly too:

"One more day until 90% of the people who have been whining about no PM updates now get to start threads about how lame the new updated machines are."

:D

LOL :D :D

However, I will join the crowd of whining. I am anxiously waiting for a much faster G5. If all we get is a 200 mhz speed bump I will be dissapointed since I will have to wait another 8 months before I can upgrade. I know I am very spoiled given that I have a 2.5 system right now. ;)

fedora

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
I might buy a new powermac when they get released, But what I need to know is will I be able to use the RAM from my current PM G5 in it because it has 6.5 gig of kingson RAM in it, and it was expensive. Will it still be compatible?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
fedora said:
I might buy a new powermac when they get released, But what I need to know is will I be able to use the RAM from my current PM G5 in it because it has 6.5 gig of Kingston RAM in it, and it was expensive. Will it still be compatible?
My first though is yes, unless Apple changes the specifications for the RAM in the next update. Not sure what will be announced at the 11am PDT press conference. Don't think they would be calling this conference if there wasn't something to announce. My curiosity is peaked. If Steve walks out then we will know something big is coming.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
They definitely wont be dual core as TS has suggested. Apple won't use NAB to announce such a revolutionary line of CPUs. If they did, it would be called the G6, and Apple is nowhere near ready to release G5 PB or G5 iBooks.

scu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Sunday has come and gone. Monday has come and gone. And now we are well into Tuesday and no new PowerMacs.

Is it even possible that Apple was hoping to have new PowerMacs to announce at NAB, but IBM could not even deliver the 200 mhz speed bump?

I am now of the opinion that IBM is so far behind that Apple will make a quite announcement some time in the next months without much fanfare. All emphasis for the next two months will be on promoting Tiger. Significant upgrades may still be 8 months away.

Too bad for I was ready to buy, but now I must wait. The good part is that when I do get a PM it will have a second or third update of Tiger making it one kick ass Machine. ;) :(

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I think we'll hear about the upgrades next week - they want this time to push Tiger - especially since it looks like we're only getting speed bumps and no dual core machines

D

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Yep.

Mr. Anderson said:
I think we'll hear about the upgrades next week - they want this time to push Tiger - especially since it looks like we're only getting speed bumps and no dual core machines

D

I'm thinking we will hear some sort of hardware update with the availabilty of Tiger on the 29th. It would make some sense if they release new PowerMacs or new PowerBooks to go along with Tiger.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
wouldnt it seem abvious that they are probally going to release them on the same day that they release tiger so that ppl will buy them at all of the apple store tiger premiers? just my opinion.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Rob587 said:
wouldnt it seem abvious that they are probally going to release them on the same day that they release tiger so that ppl will buy them at all of the apple store tiger premiers? just my opinion.
The best statement made today! :) :) :)

scu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
Rob587 said:
I disagree. When one follows the normal product cycle, a new product is introduced as soon as it is available and the demand curve is moving down. The demand curve has been going down on the PowerPC for a few months. The last quarterly report hinted at that. If Apple was ready with a new PowerMac they would introduce it rightaway.

Even though Tiger will ship in 10 days, I think we are setting ourselves up for excuses in order to justify the delay.

This is dejavu from 97. We were stuck at 500 mghz and the only item that assisted apple in turning their 5 straight quarterly losses was the new iMac. This time around it is the re designed iMac, along with the iPod and the Mac Mini. They have been given the extra time needed for IBM come up with faster chips.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Rob587 said:
wouldnt it seem obvious that they are probably going to release them on the same day that they release tiger so that ppl will buy them at all of the apple store tiger premiers? just my opinion.
That would be a great idea. If Steve makes the same offer that occurred with the Jaguar and Panther release, then a purchase of a new Mac can be purchased with a 10% discount. That is after the purchase of Tiger.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Well, I've read through a few things, and I don't think we'll see an update until either next week or the week after. I'm considering the latter part. Then again, Apple surprises everyone all at once. GO APPLE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.