One more iphone and car integration question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigDaddy5, Oct 21, 2007.

1. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

So I was thinking this over this morning, and I think I have another good idea. My last idea was to permanently put a universal dock into my car so I can just toss the iPhone into it and have integrated music with a remote so I can keep my eyes on the road.

Well then I ran into the problem of answering a call, which was a minor detail.

Someone posted in my last thread about how using a bluetooth earpiece will not interfere with anything and you will be able to answer the phone like normal.

So this brings up another question I have...what about a bluetooth car kit. What are some good ones, and I guess I'd need one that would not stand out in my dash. Here's a picture of my dash for reference:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/BigDaddy5/DSC01246.jpg

Right now, my idea is to put the iPhone above the selector (shifter), and leave the dock permanently put in place there. I will probably try and disassemble it and paint it black or maybe have it done in matching wood grain in the future. For now, it will remain white and just stand out.

What are you guys using for integrated bluetooth car kits and your iPhone? What works best and has a wide range of options for mounting?

My end goal is to be able to use the remote to control the music, have the music auto mute when I get a call, hear my ringtone, answer the call with the car speakers, speak to the caller, hang up, and have the music auto-resume. Not only do I want all this, but I want to be able to just have to drop my iPhone into the dock to get it. I don't want to have to mess around with it for 5 minutes every time I get in the car. If anybody has any other solutions, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Oh, and I'd need one with noise canceling, since my car gets loud when I take the roof off.

2. calvy macrumors 65816

My BMW has bluetooth built in, and I added a DICE ipod integration kit. This works pretty dang well together because I can be playing/charging my iPhone over the DICE connection, and when I get a call, the bluetooth integration turns off the current audio source and becomes the headset. When I hang up the call, everything comes back on as it was before. And while on a call, my iphone easily gives me the option to hop back and forth between using the iphone itself, the bluetooth system, or the iphone speakerphone.

I love it. Much better integration than my old Razr.