One more question about carbon copy cloner.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MaCnation, Sep 13, 2009.

1. MaCnation macrumors newbie

I just cloned my hard drive to a new and bigger drive. I did the OSX 10.5.8 update on the old western digital drive as a safety precaution, so that if it screwed up I would still have a good copy on my new Seagate barracuda.

The update looks to have gone well and I will be waiting for a couple of trial days before backing the drive up again. My question is, when I clone the drive again(to the new seagate) how will that work? Should I erase the existing disk image(10.5.7) on that drive or will it overwrite the existing image with the new 10.5.8 one? This is the first time I have used carbon copy and don't really know all the in's and out's of it.

Thanks.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Select Incrimental Backup and check the "Delete files not present in source" box and it should save a bunch of time by cloning the new drive but not having to rewrite all of the apps and etc. that it already did last time. It's a bootable OS that you're backing up (cloning) here tho so do make sure by booting from it after the clone operation and spending a little time testing stuff.

Another way is to partition the destination drive. Clone each OS version to a unique partition and APPs, data and etc. to yet another partition. Then rebooting with the Option key depressed (and that BU drive on-line) will allow you to boot into any OS version you have cloned, etc.