One more question for the day... ON burning Dvd's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cudadown, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Cudadown macrumors regular

I downloaded MacTheRipper. When the rip is complete QuickTime says the format is invalid. I believe it was a Mp4. Is this format only for the Dvd player and not usuable in QT or iMovie?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

MTR copies the Video_TS folder on the DVD to your Hard Drive. Inside the Video_TS folder are BUP, VOB and IFO files. When it does this, it removes Macrovision and the Region Code.

If you want to burn a DVD, more than likely you will need to reduce the size of the Video_TS file set. The reason for this is most commercial DVDs come on DVD9s and most folks use DVD5s to burn their DVDs. To reduce the size of the files set, you can use DVD2OneX or Popcorn.

Once this is done, then you will need to burn the DVD with Toast for example.

Instead of burning a DVD, and say you want to play the movie on your iPod, or import into iMovie, or make a version playable for Quicktime, you can use HandBrake. It will convert most video formats into one another quite well.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im just providing the following informations to help you decide

1. there are DVD players that can play divx, xvid, mpeg4, etc, at the price of about $50

2. POPcorn and DVD2One is NOT free. you can try DVD remaster demo version, I think it works, but never tried myself.

3. handbrake only accept DVD input.

4. Toast is NOT free, there are good free burner such as simplyburns, burn, etc.

5. DVD imager can convert MTP's product into an *.iso image file.