one more, should I get the imac now ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rpaloalto, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

I know this has been asked far to many times here at MacRumors.
    The question as to whether I should I get the iMac now or wait for a upgrade?
    What about these new imacs, are they still considered revision A. imacs
    There seem to be more than a few complaints, ranging from the screen gradient issue, to the under average video card. Worse their seems to be a problem with the imac's fans not running at the proper speeds, forcing users to instal 3rd party apps, such as smc fan controls, to solve the problem.

Are these problems real, or are they just blown out of proportion.

These forums can be very bad for procrastinators, like me.
    For me, buying a new imac is a big purchase for my family and I. We don't have a lot of money. It has taken almost a year to pinch and save the 1700$. I now have for the 2.4 20 inch imac with applecare. My wife thinks I'm crazy and wants me to get a cheap dell, so if this imac is on the problematic side I will for sure get that I told you so, ''you should have gotten a dell''.

1.25 g4 imac
    600MHz g3 ibook

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I purchased my iMac in August and so far it has been great. I have had some minor issues when I upgraded to Leopard a couple of days ago, but they seem to have been fixed.

3. PNW macrumors regular

They are solid machines. What do you want to do with the iMac? If money is a major concern you could save plenty by picking up a used or refurbished previous gen iMac. It will be noticeable improvement over your g4 iMac and if you're not a gamer it will likely be all you need for several years.

4. CP1091 macrumors regular

CP1091

The iMacs haven't had too many problems, but supposedly some type of revision is on the horizon. That is, according to the MacRumors guide.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

If you need it NOW, get it now. If you can wait, wait.

6. booboodaddy macrumors newbie

Too Late!!

I was ready to make the jump and buy a 20" 2.4 imac from the refurb store and I look today and it's not there!!!! Will it come back or is this a sign of something else on the horizon?

7. BlueZombie macrumors newbie

No, just keep checking back on the refurb store. I believe they update it daily around 2-3 am. I just purchased my first mac today from the refurb store. I got the 24" 2.4GHz iMac. I don't think updates will be for another 3+ months...probably even longer than that. I'm not about to wait forever for the next update, and if you're on a budget and buying from the refurb store, getting the latest and greatest iMac will run you at least another half grand. Buy now and be happy...:D

8. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

The way I look at it is that there is always a new revision on the horizon, whether its a Mac or PC. Best advice, evaluate your needs, and if the current model supports what you need to use it for, just buy it. If you happen to get a dud, give Apple a call.

For what its worth... I just purchased a 20" model 4 days ago. I'm very happy with my purchase.

9. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You can get a 24" 2.4 at the refurb store now for $1550. Do that NOW and wait 11 months for AppleCare, if you decide you want and/or need it. Refurbs are a great way to buy.

10. BlueZombie macrumors newbie

They're available right now on the apple store website...

11. Lord Sam macrumors regular

Lord Sam

iMac

The iMac is a great machine, better than any dell that will ever be made. The only problem is whether or not to buy now. Apple is incredibly unpredictable with their updates, so there is no way of knowing when a new one is round the bend, but that's just what its like in the world of technology. Do you buy or wait? Its up to you.

12. booboodaddy macrumors newbie

Apple refurbs

Panic is over now. It was back yesterday morning and I orderedit...

:)

13. sportsnut macrumors regular

Congrats :D

I always go the refurb route.;)

14. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Congrats. I jumped into this thread a little late, but would have suggested the refurbished route as well. I've only seen like-new computers from the refurbished store, and will definitely be getting my next Mac from there rather than buying a brand new one.