One more Stupid 4870 question?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Go Go, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Go Go macrumors newbie

Go Go

Here is the rub, I am a photographer, my Mac Pro works processing image files.

I have an early 2009 octo 2.26 with 16gb of ram, and the Geforce GT 120. I need to start running Phocus (Hasselblad software) which specifically states that a Radeon HD 4870 card will speed up processing of files.

I might want to get a second monitor soon, currently running a Dell 30 isp.

Do I order the Radeon 4870, install it and be done with it?

Or are there other (better) options out there (4890?) ?

I don't want to get into a complicated installation (flashing etc).

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yep, the Apple card on the 2009 MP is a simple case of removing the GT120 and putting the 4870 in. But do not forget to fit the two additional power cables that will come with the 4870. If you need more DVI ports for third party monitors like Dell you might want to additionally fit your GT120 back in there at a higher slot because both cards have only one DVI port. That should be no problem at all.

4. Go Go thread starter macrumors newbie

Go Go

k.i.s.s.

Thanks much, sounds very logical. I wouldn't have come up with this on my own. I appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone!

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If you run Hasselblad images you may want to look at more RAM mid term. I guess you are currently using 8x2GB UDIMMs. You may want to look at running 6x4GB RDIMMs. It would increase your RAM capacity and your memory bandwidth. The 2 GB UDIMMs are still selling for high prices. So they would give you a nice reduction of the net purchasing price.

If you want still more memory because you see speed increases you could go to 4 x 8GB + 4 x 4GB all UDIMM. This step could be done at a later time when 8GB UDIMMs have become cheaper. At the moment I can understand that people are reluctant to make that kind of investment while most software is not utilizing RAM with 64-bit structure.