'one more thing' in january?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Before every major Apple conference we are always bombarded with rumors and guesses about that 'one more thing' that might be appearing. So far the last 'new thing' was the iphone and ever since then everyone and they mama has been predicting some type of other multitouch device. Well the time has finally come.

On the 2 year anniversary of the iphone annoucement, I believe we will set our eyes on the newest Apple sensation. Call me crazy, but I am almost sure of it.

I'm not sure what it'll be though, I have always been kinda hoping for a multitouch laptop that folds around into a tablet (like the new hp that launches tomorrow).

So do you think apple will be releasing anything? what will it be?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

3. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I don't think that will happen.

If anything, possibly a new "pro" line of ACDs. I'm crossing my fingers for that at least.

4. cuestakid macrumors 68000

With the recent news of the discontinuation of the current 23 in Cinema, I think you are right on and i will add new graphics cards that will support display port. Either that or we may actually see the new MP but i think we will either one of the two

5. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't think so. It isn't "consumer" enough for steve to use that as his "one more thing". That line has to come with like an ipod, or notebook or something that everyone just HAS to have.

6. MacTravelerBoi macrumors newbie

It would be nice, but I don't think it will happen.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

When was the last time Steve actually made one of his famous "one more thing" announcements? Seems to me, it's been several years.

8. kenned macrumors member

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

According to Wikipedia

"One more thing…"

An archetypal Steve Jobs Keynote starts with Jobs presenting sales figures for Apple products, and a review of Apple products released in the past few months. He then moves on to present one or more new products of moderate importance. After that, he feigns some concluding remarks, turns to leave the stage, then turns back and says "One more thing…". Usually the audience has some idea as to what product will be unveiled due to the Apple rumors community, but this is not always the case.

Some of the products which were revealed as "One more thing...":

The AirPort base station and Airport card after the iBook was introduced in Macworld Expo 1999.

The PowerBook G4.

The PowerMac G5 at WWDC 2003.

The fifth generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference self-referentially titled "One more thing...".

The MacBook Pro (at Macworld Expo 2006).

Introduction of selling movies via the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing" in the same presentation also unveiled an upcoming product dubbed iTV (renamed to Apple TV on Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing" was the lead-in to introduce a live performance of the song "Waiting for the World to Change" by John Mayer at the conclusion of the presentation.

Introduction of Safari for Windows Beta.

The iPod touch

The wireless version of the iTunes Store on the iPod touch and iPhone.

The Safari 3 Browser was shown running on Windows XP.

The new Macbook was introduced in October 2008 after the new Macbook Pro was introduced.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks for the history of "more more things." ;)

So if I read this right, it seems like there was a two-year gap between "one more thing" announcements -- the last one before the new MacBooks was in September 2006.

11. nickane macrumors 6502

The way I remembered it, there was an ipod event about 3 years ago, actually called "One More Thing", and after that, it seemed like the expression had been put to death forever but had only recently made a comeback. I guess I must've missed all the keynotes where it got used again, cos according to the wiki it's been used 7 times since then.

So, there's definitely been less use of it, but it still seems to pop up every 6 months or so.

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

My guess is a new pro line of ACD's and a new case design foor the Mac Pro. These should be announced during the keynote but they won't be the 'one more thing'

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Steve Jobs most famously used the "one more thing" trick when he announced that he was no longer interim CEO of Apple, in January 2000. This worked so well, that after that, he used it in virtually every keynote for several years, but only sporadically after that.

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

If both a tablet and a mini-tablet are slated for MWSF, then I can easily see one introduced normally and the other as a "One More Thing…." I can also see a new Mac as a "One More Thing…."

For something really big (like the original iPhone) like the iPod stick, I'd say it would be introduced normally, as Jobs needs to spend 75% of his keynote on that device.

And yes, I do believe we will be seeing a new (r)evolutionary device (most likely handheld) this coming MWSF.

MWSF 2005: Device (iPod shuffle) and Mac (Mac mini)
    MWSF 2006: Mac (iMac, MacBook Pro)
    MWSF 2007: Device (iPhone)
    MWSF 2008: Mac (MacBook Air)
    MWSF 2009: Device?

15. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

So do I. And by that I mean more than its rumored description.