One More VRAM question! (MBP)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macpluslaptop, Aug 16, 2007.

1. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

I'm about to pull the trigger on my MBP purchase and I need last minute advice. I know the consensus is that the 2.2 (w/128 VRAM) is adequate for just about everything but Pixar animation, but want to double check before tomorrow.

I will be using a 23" ACD when at home. I'm also going to do a lot of Photoshopping/Aperture stuff with my RAW pics. I will not get another computer, probably, for 4 years or more (last bought in 2001). So this baby has to last. Beyond the digital image stuff, I do text stuff and web surfing, etc. That's undemanding.

But I worry about driving the external monitor and using Photoshop (or iMovie). Also, work will pay for almost half of the purchase so I could pick up the 2.4 for $1500 of my own money. But don't want to go into overkill.

Thoughts? And thanks to everyone who's sick to death of this question!

2. trojanman2011 macrumors newbie

Though the 256 mb graphics card may be slight overkill by today's standards, it would probably be a great investment if you're looking at this machine as a 4+ year investment, especially given your dual monitor setup. In 2001 when you bought your last machine, a 32 mb video card was pretty snazzy, yet it's wholly inadequate now. It would be unfortunate for that to happen with your new machine after only a few years.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps.

3. kumbaya macrumors regular

definitely without any doubt whatsoever, go for 256MB VRAM if you're buying for 4+ years

Who knows what demands 10.6 (Lion? :D) will have...

:) :apple:

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

2.2 will do you fine, I got a 2.4 because of my obsession with power, but 2.2 isn't quite as future proof, but you won't use it longer than 4 years I bet.

5. macpluslaptop thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the input

This is very helpful. I'm leaning towards the 2.4...

6. CaptainWOW macrumors member

I have the 2.4 MBP and I love it. You definitely won't regret it if you buy the 2.4. If you can afford the $400 premium i'd say get the mid-grade MBP over the entry 2.2 model. It I'll feel a little less inadequate in 4+ years time.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

From wikipedia: