One Night DJ

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by cmcconkey, Jan 13, 2008.

1. cmcconkey macrumors 6502

I am looking to put together something for one night of DJ work. Well I won't be the manning the music but I want it to be the best possible sound but not break me. What this will be for is music for a wedding. I would like it to be something that anyone can troubleshoot in case something does happen. I am looking to use the sound out on a PowerBook. We will be connecting into a normal speaker like what a DJ would connect into (not sure on the specs). Could someone point me in a good direction in getting this put together.

Thanks
    Christopher

2. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

Powerbook >> to >> mixer >> to >> amp >> to >> speaker ??

:)confused: not sure exactly what you're asking here)

3. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

I am basically looking for a cheap but decent way to pull this off. I already have access to the PowerBook, amp and speaker. I would like to know what someone would suggest to get it all to come together. I would prefer not to have someone stuck in front of the PowerBook all night, I would like to have a play list set up to allow the music to just keep on going unless there is something that we would like to hear at that moment.

Christopher

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Just use iTunes mate. No need for anything more complex is there?

5. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

yeah, it seems like itunes should work fine, just make your playlist long enough, make sure other peeps don't mess with it, and you'll be good. but maybe an actual DJ should be doing this for you?

6. cmcconkey thread starter macrumors 6502

Well having an actual DJ there would be good, but that is more money. I am already going to be spending quite a bit of money and the DJ part would be something that I would think could be accomplished without someone dedicated to just that. I know that with itunes I can create a long play list to get things started and with just a couple of seconds I could add another song into the play list. I just think that for what a DJ would be doing at my wedding, they would be greatly overpaid.

Christopher

7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

DJs are people who read the crowd, decide on the song and play it. They are not something iTunes Smart Playlist can replace.

With this in mind and you thinking that DJs are not needed, iTunes sounds perfect for you.

8. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

you'll still probably need a mixer to plug the mac book into as well as a mic. Then go from the mixer into the amp or directly to the speakers if they're self powered.

Everyone to the floor - time to do the chicken dance....:eek:

9. Macchino macrumors regular

Hey mate... If you dont need a mic, the just use a minijack -> Phono from the computer to the amp. You could download the free trial of virtual dj, make a playlist in there and then just select "automix in virtual dj. I wouldnt do it, since i am a dj, and have of course think that you should get a dj, but from your needs this should work fine, as the cheap solution.

Ps: Think hard about getting a dj. Its so important that people dance all night long, in order for everybody to go home, thinkig they had a god time.:) No playlist can do that, so you will be ending up standing behind the computer half the night anyway.

Best regards:):):)

10. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

Bingo! I do a lot of mobile DJing, and I can tell you, that's the hardest part about it. And we take it personally when people do not dance, unless the bride or groom requests a song that bombs ;). But seriously, a good DJ will keep the floor packed, because we know songs that get people moving, and songs similar to whatever gets people on the floor. We have those "ace up the sleeve" songs in case it train wrecks, etc. And iTunes can't beat match, mash songs, and pump up a crowd. iTunes doesn't understand that you need to keep the tempo of the dance floor as high as possible and if you can keep the tempo similar to the previous song, more people will remain on the floor.

Also, how you organize the music can make...and break...a reception. If you try to do it in sets, like say pop music from the 90's, rock from the 80's...whatever the genre's are...and group them together. It could work. But if people don't dance to the first song in that genre, than what? Now you've got an empty floor for several songs. What about slow songs, how do you decide when to do that? Is everyone tired of dancing to fast music after 3 songs, or 7? What about the formal events, like tossing the bouquet, the first dances, the toasts, etc?

The difference between a DJ and using iTunes is the difference in how many people stick around after the first few minutes.

Now I'm biased, since I DJ these kinds of events, but I can tell you when I get married, choosing the right DJ is going to be the task I'm charged with, because I understand how important it is. I would never dream of using automatic software like that.

But that's my experience and opinion. I do wish you luck in your wedding, though!

11. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I'd say go with a DJ too. Not only for the above mentioned reasons, but they also MC the event. You can meet with them ahead of time, set up which dances you'd like ($ Dance, Father/Daughter, Bouquet/Garter Toss, etc.). This will free up everyone from having to worry about timing at the reception, making it a much more enjoyable time for those involved in planning.