one note replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asidexo, Aug 3, 2013.

1. asidexo macrumors member

I made the switch to mac about a week ago. I was focused mainly on hardware and operating systems and didn't really think much about applications. As a college student I figured I could get all the apps I needed on a mac no problem. After all, I don't to much more than word processing, image editing, and media streaming.

What I forgot when I bought office university was that OneNote doesn't come on Macs.

I am an extremely disorganized person even with files. I have been taking my notes exclusively with onenote since 2007. I find the notebooks and sections critical to keeping my notes organized and in a place I can find them. Seriously, as far as I'm concerned the program is perfect and fits my needs.

The problem being that it doesn't work on macs. I don't really care about synchronizing across devices as my laptop comes with me everywhere and my iphone is a little small for note taking. What I need is an app with a similar set of features and organizational qualty that works for mac.

This realization really put a damper on my new love of iosx and I hope there is a solution. Basically i need an app that will run exactly like onenote but on my mac.

Otherwise I'm going to need to figure out how to fun windows programs on my mac, but doesn't that drain a lot more processing power? and I really would rather avoid that.

Mac and I were finally starting to get along.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

Outline+ for mac and iPad syncs with OneNote for Windows.

http://outline.ws/mac

Haven't used it myself so can't comment on functionality.

Personally, I use Circus Ponies Notebooks, which I've written about here and here, and Curio, which I've written about here, in addition to Evernote. Sounds like you might like Curio, have a look at it.

4. Zerozal macrumors 6502

+1 for Zengobi's Curio. Closest thing to a OneNote replacement that I've found.

5. onekerato macrumors regular

Since you are a heavy Onenote user with so many years worth of notes, it's probably best if you run Onenote on a Mac using VMWare Fusion or Parallels. These apps can run Windows quite smoothly even on a Macbook Air. Besides, it'll make you less mad at Mac OS because it doesn't do X like windows does, and help ease the transition :)

6. KellyC macrumors member

Have you tried Evernote? Easily my most-used and favorite app.
    I was issued a laptop running Window 8 at my new job. I tried Onenote for about a day and ended up going back to Evernote. I sync it across my work-issued laptop, personal MBA, iPad, and iPhone.

7. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

I was a former OneNote user on Windows as well, but now on MAc I had to settle for Evernote, plus I need an all-in-one sync solution and Evernote does that like a charm.

However, I would love if something more OneNote-alike (or even compatible) would come out.
    I've tried most apps but I haven't found any satisfying as they lack sync (or for that instance, mobile versions) or their UI is not that great and so on.

I personally think if Outline+ devs would make it writeable on Mac (it's read-only ATM) then I would seriously consider switching (but of course, I'd still be missing the iPhone version).

As you seem to only require Mac, I'd try what somebody else suggested before and that is, using a VM (VirtualBox is great and free). Depending on your current Mac equipment it can be a PiTA (resource hog) but for most "modern" computers a VM runs somewhat smooth, provided you're of course not trying to consume it all by playing 3D games and the like.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've been using Circus Ponies Notebook for several years now very heavily, completely replacing One Note (which I've got on the PC at work, yet I bring in my MBP just to use Notebook!) as well as a collection of three-ring binders I was using for notes! My largest is about 500MB in size and most run over 100 pages, so it seems to handle whatever I throw at it.

9. rphillipss macrumors newbie

rphillipss

Evernote for mac. Works very well, syncs across devices etc