iPad Pro One of my biggest concern

fitcious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2014
One of my main concern is the ram limitation on the current IPP, non-1TB. If the next pros come with 6 gigs, I will be really frustrated since current ones only have 4 gigs. Will the extra 2 gig of ram make that big of a difference vs 4? I do light photo editing, occasional video editing and majority of the time I just browse, watch videos and use MS Office.

Secondary question: when Apple stops supporting devices, is it usually due to the ram or processor? Because if it is ram, then the current IPPs will be one of quickest short lived products?

I just need my IPP to run smoothly for at least 4 years lol

...i also wonder since iPadOS is going to be out, will Apple have a different timeline on what devices gets supported vs the iPhones.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
Since the Air and Mini are up to 3GB, I would steer away from these models. 4GB is the same amount of RAM as in the 1st Gen 12.9” Pro from 2015.

I can see the Pros getting more iOS support than their non X chip powered counterparts, with the possible exception of the 9.7” which has the same 2GB RAM as the 2017 iPad. With no Pros dropped yet though, we can’t look at any patterns.

I can see a different timeline with iPad OS, but until next year, we won’t have anything at all to go on.

With iOS 13, there was a RAM element (iPhone 6/Touch 6 dropped, but iPad Mini 4 gets iPad OS with the same processor and an extra GB of RAM.) The iPhone 4 went all the way to iOS 7 with the same processor and more RAM than the original iPad.

iPad 3 had more RAM than the iPad 2 but ended up being left on the same version.

More often than not, it probably is processor (iPad 3 more similar to iPad 2 than 4 and iPhone 6 more similar to the 5s than the 6s.) With the processor coming up for a year old and the next gen looking as though it will get a RAM bump, I’d wait.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
One of my main concern is the ram limitation on the current IPP, non-1TB. If the next pros come with 6 gigs, I will be really frustrated since current ones only have 4 gigs. Will the extra 2 gig of ram make that big of a difference vs 4? I do light photo editing, occasional video editing and majority of the time I just browse, watch videos and use MS Office.

Secondary question: when Apple stops supporting devices, is it usually due to the ram or processor? Because if it is ram, then the current IPPs will be one of quickest short lived products?

I just need my IPP to run smoothly for at least 4 years lol

...i also wonder since iPadOS is going to be out, will Apple have a different timeline on what devices gets supported vs the iPhones.
I think it's going to be a very, very long time before a 4 GB RAM-equipped iOS device is no longer supported. The first 4 GB iPhones came out in fall 2018 (Xs and Xs Max), and the only 4 GB iPads are the iPad Pros. All 1 GB iPads are still supported by iOS 12.x. On the iPhone end, two 1 GB iPhones are no longer supported (5 and 5c), because they have 32-bit processors.

Now, iOS 13 is dropping support for the 64-bit 1 GB devices, moving to a 2 GB minimum. Considering the 6th Gen iPad is 2 GB and is just a bit over one year old, and the brand-new iPad Mini is 3 GB... 2-3 GB is going to be the benchmark standard for iPadOS for at least a few more years.

Even with the fork to iPadOS, I expect the vast majority of iOS apps will be written to run well on 2 GB for quite a few years to come. There may be some high-performance iPad-only apps, but developers would be shooting themselves in the feet if they created apps that only ran well on 6 GB machines. I'm confident 4 GB has at least four more years of high-performance computing in its future.

Reactions: VaruLV and danmart