One of my Firewire drives is now showing Disk inserted is unreadable

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by recordprod, Nov 24, 2007.

1. recordprod macrumors member

I wonder if anyone can offer any help? My Firewire enclosure with 4 drives is all fine except that one of the 3 month old drives is not loading up, I get a warning saying that the disk inserted is not readable. I have got a fair amount of important stuff on this drive and don't fancy formatting without trying to get everything off.

Is this a common issue? I'm running Leopard and have the same warning on any of my Mac's that I plug in to.

:(

Mike

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Dumb question... have you power cycled the drives... or at least let them rest (unpowered) for 5 or so minutes?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Have you ejected the disk without ejecting it in the Finder first? In some cases some disk data may not have been copied and you might find that you have totally ruined the format of the disk and have to reformat it, though you should try other things first.

4. recordprod thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the ideas!

Eraserhead: No, never do that, ever!

Erik: Not tried that, I'll give it a bit of time and try again. I just checked with Disk Utility and it say's it's unformatted :(

5. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I would suggest doing a powercycle on both the mac and the hard drive. I know its a far fetch, but it wouldn't hurt.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Question.

Have you ever had Windows on that hard drive?

7. recordprod thread starter macrumors member

No. What is this 'Windows' that you mention?

8. recordprod thread starter macrumors member

Jeez - things are getting very strange here:

I've been doing some backing up of other drives, just in case and then had the grey screen come down saying I need to restart. On restart, it was reported that one of the other drives is not reliable and is running with reduced functionality and must be backed up right away - doing that now.

So, in the space of an afternoon two drives that are made by different manufacturers are going down. I am wondering if something else is going on here. Loeopard wouldn't be doing something strange?

Aargh!

:(