One of my keys fell off, how to fix?

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I accidentally dropped something on one of my keys and it popped right off. I tried to push it back in but it won't stay, upon further inspection it seems that the plastic notch has broke. I'm not entirely sure though. Is there a way to fix this without spending a lot of money? Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or if I take it to an Apple store they can fix it right away? I'm worried as to how much it will cost.

sebseb

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2014
Could you take pics of the mechanism and back of the key? It's hard to break those notches, I just think you're not putting it in right. You can't just push it in, you must put in a groove then push it down.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Well, maybe also dependent whether you still have some guarantee on it. If yes, I would't try to fix too much on my own as to not harm your guarantee if other issues will occur in the near future.

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
Years ago, the Apple store techs would often repair them free of charge. I don't think it is (or was) an official repair policy, I think they just tend to have lots of spare key caps.

It can't hurt to stop by and ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.