One of my thunderbolt port is not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZERROZ, May 5, 2015.

1. ZERROZ macrumors newbie

hi guy. I have a problem in my one of my thunderbolt port near the usb3 port on my 1 week old early 2015 mbp. When i try to use the 1st thunderbolt port near the magsafe my external TV work fine but using the 2nd thunderbolt port with the same TV is not working. In short one thunderbolt port is working and the other one is not. I try SMC and PRAM reset but still not working. Maybe i miss something other troubleshooting or I do not know before i contact apple support for help. Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The port should work. I'd be contacting Apple immediately.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You have a warranty. I suggest you use it. You don't need the approval of strangers on the internet to exercise your right to have a working product within your warranty period.

4. ZERROZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks and Its weird cause I use my thunderbolt ethernet adapter and its work fine, only if I using my external TV. By the way Im in osx 10.10.4 public beta and this is only my computer, i can imagine myself without a computer if i send this to where I bought it. So if this port work on other device exept for my external TV, can I live with this? im just worried if this will damage my board in the future since this might a faulty port.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You probably shouldn't be running beta software on your only computer.

There is no way to know what else might be wrong. You have warranty, use it.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's within the 14 day return period

But you should not have beta software on your only computer, and this may well be a compatability bug with the beta OS.

roll back to 10.10.3 and if it works with that then you know it's software related, if it doesn't return it for new one.

You could also check the method you are connecting to the TV with, a Mini DP to hdmi cable may be faulty for example. If it works for ethernet it's working.

Also back up all your data to an external drive.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go back to 10.10.3 and see if it works, if not then call apple and get it handled since its a new computer. For the life of me, I cannot think how the .4 beta update could effect a single TB port. Its more likely a defect on the logic board in some form

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

He said....

....it works as an ethernet port with an adapter, it's more likeely that the beta software doesn't support his external display for some reason...

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The TV works via the other TB port, so that doesn't make sense.
    And it's quite possible there's a hardware defect that only affects the video portion of the TB port but not the data portion - which could be why the Ethernet adapter works fine.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Fair enough

It's new just get a new one.

11. ZERROZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Guys its workng now.. I just reset again the SMC with battery charge level of 90%. Maybe I did not reset the SMC during my 100% battery level cause I did not see any change of the magsafe LED indicator., it always green. So next time I needed the SMC reset I will make sure Im not in 100% charge. By the way I came from MBA 2013 and this MBP run very smooth to me.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are very good

really the best little all round laptop about.