One of the reasons not to buy a 2019 iMac

ruslan120

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Target Display Mode. It’s one of the reasons the iMac isn’t currently more expensive IMO, and it’s one of the main reasons I’m holding out on buying one.

TDM substantially increases the iMac’s long term value (having the ability to use the display after the internals are outdated).

I think it’s one of the things Apple will be finally adding back in 2020 (after the screen is re-engineered to finally treat it as one panel instead of two over an internal connection).

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-the-iMac-27-5K-be-used-as-an-external-monitor-even-though-it-has-Thunderbolt-3-0-support

CWallace

macrumors 604
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
This assumes Apple wants to change their Display Timing Controllers to allow TDM once it is physically possible. It's been so long since TDM was a thing on an iMac that Apple may feel it no longer worth offering.

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
It's a great point, I mean a good quality ~220 DPI 5K monitor such as the iMac would probably still be a welcome thing to have in your possession in say 2030.

Reactions: ruslan120

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
I often used my 2011ish iMac as a second screen a while back. While it worked, it wasn't great. You had to be running the machine, which is quite power inefficient, plus it may produce more noise compared to a typically dead-silent screen. You had to switch it off (or put into standby) afterwards. Adjusting the brightness was annoying. So you always need the accessories around... Add to that the fact that there actually are potential issues with the display as such.

I doubt there is much motivation to support this. Why would I want to plug my laptop into that iMac - just use the iMac alone. Everything is (actually "should") be synced easily anyway (just dreaming here, of course). iMac too old? Well, they do have a solution for that...

mikehalloran

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
You're going to wait a looooooooong time.

Target Display Mode hasn't existed on an iMac since mid 2014.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In short: None of the Retina iMacs have ever supported TDM.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201634

Then there's this:
I often used my 2011ish iMac as a second screen a while back. While it worked, it wasn't great. You had to be running the machine, which is quite power inefficient, plus it may produce more noise compared to a typically dead-silent screen. You had to switch it off (or put into standby) afterwards. Adjusting the brightness was annoying. So you always need the accessories around... Add to that the fact that there actually are potential issues with the display as such.

I doubt there is much motivation to support this. Why would I want to plug my laptop into that iMac - just use the iMac alone. Everything is (actually "should") be synced easily anyway (just dreaming here, of course). iMac too old? Well, they do have a solution for that...
An SSD only 2011–mid 2014 will run more efficiently without much fan noise but you can get a 27" 4K monitor under $250 that looks and performs better.

whosthis

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
An SSD only 2011–mid 2014 will run more efficiently without much fan noise but you can get a 27" 4K monitor under $250 that looks and performs better.
Especially true if you plan to use it screen-only after many years. If you swap it for a same-age screen then, you might some cash left.

The thought of not "wasting" that old machine is surely nice though.

ondert

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2017
Italy
My main reasons are the newer chips, they are just on the horizon. Probably I won't get a new iMac until they'll ship with 10nm intel cpu and new navi graphics. Also, a re-design should be done. Come on Apple, I know because of Tim Cook we still see the designs don't change. He just save on design costs and focus on making money. That's the reason why Jony Ive has gone away..