One on Two?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
FFS. There're a thousand threads about this. If you already know that, then why are you making yet another thread? :rolleyes:

In the US (and elsewhere, AFAIK), the family pack costs less than two licenses of OS X do. So you're already getting a discount. If you don't like it, do whatever it is that you do.

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
sorry, I didn't know
and yes Im sorry i was to lazy to search first.

I understand that the family pack is cheaper then buying two...i was asking if I could just buy one.

What will I do with the 3 extra licenses?

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
sorry, I didn't know
and yes Im sorry i was to lazy to search first.

I understand that the family pack is cheaper then buying two...i was asking if I could just buy one.

What will I do with the 3 extra licenses?
licenses and installs are never checked or verified.

Buy 1 copy of leopard and install it on as many computers as you want.

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
licenses and installs are never checked or verified.

Buy 1 copy of leopard and install it on as many computers as you want.
And then sit back and wait for one of Mr. Jobs' "Executive Customer Relations" goons to come by and beat you senseless with a sock full of pennies :D

Seriously though; can this be done? Yeah. *Should* it be done? No.

It violates the EULA, and the last thing we want is :apple: to get PO'ed and implement a (gasp) software activation scheme.

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
And then sit back and wait for one of Mr. Jobs' "Executive Customer Relations" goons to come by and beat you senseless with a sock full of pennies :D

Seriously though; can this be done? Yeah. *Should* it be done? No.

It violates the EULA, and the last thing we want is :apple: to get PO'ed and implement a (gasp) software activation scheme.
In the long run, it's actually probably better for the company to not have an activation scheme. More Macs running OS X, more users, more exposure, more switchers. It cuts down on system corruption since people who are going to cheat anyway don't have to rely on torrents to get the system. Remember, unlike MS, Apple doesn't have to rely on software for revenue.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I don't know why everyone thinks a software activation scheme is such a big deal. You put in your serial number once and you're done.

MikeBlade02

macrumors newbie
I don't know why everyone thinks a software activation scheme is such a big deal. You put in your serial number once and you're done.
It's not a big deal just annoying and pointless. If someone wants a program for free "ANY PROGRAM" they can get it.... so their is no point to have an activation. in addition to that, if you have serial numbers now you have hackers, (S#=hacker=bad program=virus=unhappy customers) Also Apple knows most of its followers will purchase legit copies because they are extremely reasonable, unlike MS's prices. They may also want to support Apple, because they enjoy the fact that second place always tries harder, which in the end obviously makes them better. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.