One or Two 2.8GHz Quads for Graphic Design?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dfly, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dfly macrumors newbie

G'Day I'm a graphic designer looking at getting a mac pro.

I'll be running CS3.3 with inDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver & Flash open at all times.

I was after some advice regarding the specs. Do I really need Two 2.8GHz Quad Core's to run the above fast and efficiently or would One 2.8 with extra RAM do the trick?

I spoke to a techy mate of mine and he assured me one would be enough (he said Two was major overkill unless I'm doing 3D rendering etc).

What do you guys think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The single quad core is enough but Apple charges quite a bit for it. I'd look at the refurbished quad core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

One should be sufficient for you. A look at cheaper refurbished would be a good idea.

4. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

Get on the Apple store tonight. They just loaded up some refurbished Mac Pros. One of them matches your specs. $1999 is not a bad price.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0EM1LL/A

Update: that model is still there but 2 of the 5 models they listed sold out in about 10 minutes. Always amazes me how fast they sell on that site.

5. gotzero macrumors 68040

I was in the same boat and ended up going with the $2400 dual processor version of the refurb a couple of weeks ago.

I am using virtualization a lot, and I am glad I have the extra cores in there, although I am doing things in a wasteful way.

The only program I have that is noticeably benefiting from the 8 cores under my use is Logic.

6. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Most graphics software won't take full advantage of the extra processors so a single core is fine, and the money you save you'd be better served buying extra RAM, and NOT from Apple (try OWC).

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

However, IF you should move into multimedia publishing, that included lots of video work, you might like to consider getting the dual xeon machine. But that's an option you might consider, cause your in control of your career, right?

8. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

If you have to ask, the answer is no. Get the cheapest one possible, and use your savings for extra storage and ram later on when you need them.

9. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I concur, ESPECIALLY if you are only going to use 3.3:) I'd bet the single quad will run even the CS4 offerings without a sweat.

Single, refurb (or used).

J