One or two partition on internal hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steinramm, Jul 9, 2009.

1. steinramm macrumors member

I have MBP 17", 2,53GHz, hdd is 250GB. I have a lot of music and pictures and quite lot movies. On the other side I have a lot mails.

Is it better to make two partitions and keep them separate? What is your suggestion?

If I decide to do that, do I need to remove everything from hard drive to make another partition? I never did it before on mac, but I remember that is necessary on windows.

2. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

If you have an HFS+ partition and use Disk Utility you should be able to create a second partition without erasing anything. If you want to keep your data separate from your system files, as I have done before on Windows, it can be done fairly easily on OS X. I don't do this on my Mac since I have Time Machine now and really have no need to do it. Really it's just up to you and your personal preferences.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

There really isn't a need to keep these separate as their sometimes is with windows machines. Especially if you have time machine and want to do a full system backup. I would keep everything together especially if you are going to use time machine because the whole point of time machine is being able to backup personal files.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't really see an advantage to this for you
    What do you see as your reasons?
    Perhaps that would better clarify your situation

I have my external drive partitioned for Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, Winclone and extra storage

My internal drive is only partitioned for Boot Camp

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Are you suggesting a live partition? You may be better suited not to partition it in my opinion...dont see the need

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: One or two partitions?

I'm a firm believer in multiple partitions, since the early days of the Mac.

For example, this g4 on which I'm typing has 3 internal drives. My primary drive has 4 discrete partitions: boot, main files (purposefully kept separate from the OS X partition), an OS 9 partition (seldom used), and a "scratch" partition (for files that I want to keep but don't deem important enough to back up).

The secondary drive consists of 3 partitions: backup of boot partition on primary drive, backup of main file partition on primary drive, and a spare.

I also have a third hard drive in the g4 with OS 10.4.11 on it (for experimentation).

Thus, I have at least FOUR bootable partitions on this g4. I can start up with OS 10.3.9, 10.4.11, and even 9.2.2 if I need it (and not that long ago, I actually _did_ need it).

In my opinion, it is ALWAYS important to have at least one additional, immediately-bootable drive. Even if you have only one internal drive (laptops come to mind), you can create a _small_ additional partition on it, and copy over a basic OS X System to it, and create an "emergency account". Even if you have software corruption in your primary OS X partition, you can probably still get going again, save a hardware failure of the drive itself.

The original poster said he had a lot of music, pictures, and movies. These are drive-space-eaters. Before too long, the drive might become so full that there wasn't enough residual free space left for the OS to operate smoothly.

An alternative course might be to create a second partition. Thus, there will be the primary boot partition on which the OS and important personal files and apps reside, and a second partition to which he can move "non-current" stuff.

Thus, the boot partition is kept "lean and mean", with the secondary partition containing the "fat".

Then, get an external backup drive, partition it, too, and use something like SuperDuper to clone BOTH partitions. Now the original poster will have both a bootable backup AND completely current copies of ALL his data, both new and old.

Once set up this way, even if something goes wrong with your main drive, you can get up and running on the secondary drive, and use what utilities you have to "attack" the problem. If push comes to shove, having a the second drive makes it easy to "wipe and dupe", restoring your primary drive from your backup.

I've even done a wipe and dupe from one partition to another. No problems.

- John