One power brick/adapter for 4 or more external hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sensamic, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hi everyone.

Does someone know if there exits in the market an adapter, power brick, hub or something like that where I can connect several external hard drives and have just one power cord connected to the wall?

Is it possible?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm pretty sure what you're wanting wouldn't be feasible. With those power bricks AC goes in from wall and DC comes out to the drive. There are a lot of different possible DC voltages that may be required by different drives, hence why they all come with their own power bricks.

Maybe if ALL your externals were the exact same brand and model, what you're looking for might be possible, I've just never heard of such a uber-power brick being available.

5. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

There exist several million different companies that make hard drive arrays that you can put all of your hard drives in... DROBO is one popular brand. (and they are so cute!)

I don't think I'd even want to go playing around with electricity enough to look into what you're talking about.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You would have to make it yourself. Assuming all your drives are the same voltage you would just need to find a power brick of the correct voltage which can supply sufficient amperage to run all the drives. Then splice all the power tips onto the one brick. Be sure to get the polarities correct:eek:.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A typical HDD brick provides around 2A at 12V and 2A at 5V and so is about 35W. Four drives would then be around 150W.

You can't generally get that in a brick.

You could use a standard ATX supply, but at that point you should consider the drobo or one of the JBOD enclosures from Sans Digital, Rosewill, etc....

B

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Time to get a NAS or other enclosure and combine your hard drives. ;)

9. Sensamic thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks everyone for the help! Im just looking for the easiest setup possible to have many external hard drives around the Mac Mini as a HTPC.

Im looking at Drobos too, but they have such bad reviews and they are very expensive. Thats why I thought maybe it would be better to just buy external hard drives and put them together around the Mini. It would be a LOT more cheap, but then it would be a mess of cables and stuff.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You don't have to get a drobo. There are other external RAID solutions and NAS that cost less than the drobo and will hold all the drives needed.