one problem about 1password application

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ThermQpple, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ThermQpple, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

ThermQpple macrumors newbie

ThermQpple

Hi, my friends, there is a problem occurred with my 1password app.
    In the log, there three lines repeated over and over again (several minutes repeat interval)

here is the content in the log:
    Jan 21 11:28:04 zmatoMac-mini com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[126] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent[993]): posix_spawn("/Users/zzq/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordAgent", ...): No such file or directory
    Jan 21 11:28:04 zmatoMac-mini com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[126] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent[993]): Exited with code: 1
    Jan 21 11:28:04 zmatoMac-mini com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[126] (ws.agile.1PasswordAgent): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

What is the meaning of the above informations?What happened?
    The 1password app has been removed by me using appzapper a mouth ago. Does that mean there is still some things remaining in the mac os? my os is Lion 10.7.2
    Need I to reinstall 1password app or delete some certain files in the disk?
    Hoping for replay, Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite possibly. In most cases, app removal software like AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

1PasswordAgent is probably trying to launch the App you removed.
    In terminal: launchctl list -> shows a list of autostart services

See:
    Removing MacOSX software that constantly relaunch
    For method of removal.

I had a similar problem in Lion, and the above worked for me.

4. ThermQpple thread starter macrumors newbie

ThermQpple

Thank you very much!!
    In fact, in most cases, for a new learner,I delete apps only by dragging it into wastebasket.I think it is a very safe way, but when I knew that it will leave some useless files in my mac, I prefer to delete them all.

The fully delete method provided is just what I want to learn. Thank you very much again for your warmhearted help! : )

----------

I have just read that web page you provided. The situation in it is exactly same with that I have met.

launchctl, um...., seem like a complex control program behind Mac Os UI, :)
    I need time to study it and learn more about its function and I am very interesting in its powerful usefulness when it is used in the terminal program.

I think this method will also work for the situation I have met. Also thank you very much for your warmhearted help!!

5. 3282868 macrumors 603

Some applications install files in /Library/LaunchAgents and/or /LaunchDaemons as well as User/Library/LaunchAgents folders for individual user accounts. Programs that require certain extensions/etc to load upon startup may have a .plist file in these folders. Deleting the associated file(s) in those folders will make certain it doesn't load upon start.

Also check the "Application Support" folders in both the main and user libraries for remaining files/folders and remove them as well.

Most app's do not require this extra work, and most .plist files are very small and can be left (preferences each user sets for their app's, a reinstalled app will recall an unused associated .plist as it most likely was not removed if you are simply dragging the app icon to the trash).

I've used "AppZapper" and never quite liked it. I currently use "CleanMyMac" and highly recommend it. A much better app that allows you more control over what is deleted, settings for automatically removing associated application files if an app is dragged to the trash (this can be easily disengaged), managing of many installed extra's, slimming down extraneous code from third party app's such as PowerPC code and unneeded languages which saves room and improves application launch times, etc. No, I don't work for them, just recommend it. :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The manual method I posted checks all locations on the hard drive and identifies all related files and folders very easily, far more effectively than and without the need for any 3rd party software. Read my earlier post and links about app removal software.
    I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

7. 3282868 macrumors 603

Thanks for the heads up. I've never had an issue with it, neither have any of the techs that use it themselves. Most issues are PEBKAC, if you know what you're doing you should be fine :)

As for speed increases in app's that have been stripped, there is a difference, marginal, but removing languages and unused code will not harm the app's. That is a myth. :)

Thanks mate.

8. GGJstudios, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that removing languages and architectures, if done properly, will not harm apps, but will not result in any measurable performance improvement. Many have successfully used Monolingual to remove unwanted languages and architectures to free up drive space, but even that will not make your Mac run faster. Extreme caution should be always be exercised when using such apps. Removing unused or corrupted fonts can have a dramatic impact on app launch times. There are some instances where some apps fail to work properly if the wrong language is removed, but such instances are not common.

As for other functions of CMM, most are unnecessary or ineffective, and some will negatively impact performance. Overall, the app is at best, unnecessary and at worst, problematic.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

In most cases it won't do much but it can work magic for people with small capacity ssd's (which quite a lot of people have since they can't and/or won't buy a bigger capacity one..too expensive is what they'll say). Ssd's loose performance when filled so keeping them as empty as you can (say only 80% filled) can make quite a difference. For people using ordinary hdd's there is not much performance gain, only diskspace.

Like with any tool you need to have some knowledge about how to use it and what it is for. App cleaners are no exception to that but so is a built-in command like rm.

Btw, quite a lot of applications have uninstallation instructions or special tools that you can use to remove the application. 1Password is of that first and second category: Completely Uninstalling 1Password. It is best to check these things before using any tools like AppZapper or manually deleting the app (in this case the use of AppZapper was not the cause of it; it was the manual removal that was the cause, it wasn't done completely as there were parts left).