One question about calorie burn calculations

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iLive, Sep 22, 2016.

1. iLive macrumors regular

I've gotten myself an Apple Watch (yeeeaaah!) Series 1, and I was curious to one thing.

Before asking my question, I want to explain of BMR. Basically, BMR stands for Basal Metabolic Rate which is "the number of calories your body burns at rest to maintain normal body functions. It is the amount of calories per day your body burns, regardless of exercise. It changes with age, weight, height, gender, diet and exercise habits."

Afaik, the Apple Watch displays your active burned calories, so this would be all calories apart from BMR.

As a weight lifter and therefore someone who wants to know how much calories I burn throughout a day, and how much I should ingest to be in caloric surplass, can I simply combine BMR and the active burned calories on the Apple Watch and assume that this is a somewhat accurate statement of how many calories I've burned I've burned throughout a day?

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks!

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yes, this is generally how it works and what you should do. At the end of the day, look at total calories burned, and you should consume that number of calories to maintain weight or consume more to gain weight.

I tried to go out to my watch, Activity app, and Health app to find where any of these apps display total calories for a day, and I cannot find it. Maybe someone else can chime in as to where you can find your total daily calorie burn on the phone.

3. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

From what I understand, there is no such display. Which is silly.

4. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

I've found it on my phone in the Activity App's Move display. Normally you see a chart of your active calorie burn throughout the day, if you swipe to the left, you'l get two numbers Active and Total.

5. Mark. macrumors member

You can find your daily calorie burn (active + resting) within the iPhone Health app -> Today view

6. iLive thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, thanks guys!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    This should IMO be displayed on the Watch :#

7. Phogro macrumors regular

Phogro

Not gonna disagree with you there. I think Apple has a lot of room for improvement in the way they display the data the watch tracks. Hopefully continued watchOS updates will refine this over time.

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yeah, the activity tracker features are still in their infancy on the AW. Some folks prefer different, but personally, I do not give a crap how my workouts breakout between active and BMR calories (and Apple's calorie algorithms are still calculating or presenting these incorrectly). I only want the total calories number. Same for a whole day: I want my total calories front and center. Then, if I am curious, offer me a drill-down to the detail.