One question before ordering !!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AJ/Apple, Jun 22, 2011.

1. AJ/Apple, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

AJ/Apple macrumors newbie

hi guys
    im about to order a MBP for my friend
    through a store we have here that sell's apple products
    its a customized 15"
    with 128gb SSD
    and 8gb ram
    the thing is they said to me that they can take a base 15" and change the ram and the HDD in ther service center , but i said no i would like to have it shipped from apple online store upgraded .
    now the thing is how do i knw if they upgraded it by them selves or they ordered it upgraded ?
    does the spec label that is on the box { and the box has to be still sealed by apple ofcourse } change to have the new upgraded spec's , or does it stay the same but the upgrades will b internal .

and if it shows the upgrades does anyone have a picture of upgraded 15" spec label so i can have a refrence that would b great

thx guys :D

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I'm pretty sure the Apple drives have an Apple symbol on them. For what it's worth though, you can do it yourself very easily. RAM and HDD swaps are so easy, that they give you instructions on how to do it yourself in the owner's manual. For reference, 8GB of RAM is only $69 from Newegg and has a lifetime warranty, so I'd really not recommend paying over double that to Apple. As for the SSD, there are pros and cons both ways. Apple's drives are a bit slower, but on my laptop it was a $90 upgrade which is a pretty good deal (I still went with the Vertex 3 though).

3. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Get a base model 15" and then buy the ram + ssd after. The ssd that apple uses is slow compared to the aftermarket. You'll save yourself a pretty penny + have better results.

4. golgo1313 macrumors regular

what he said. cheaper and faster.

5. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for the reply guys

but the laptop is not for me , and i think my friend would like to recieve the laptop sealed and not opened { maybe its a gift i dont know }

thats y i wanted it upgraded from apple and thts y i am asking about the spec label and does the upgrades show on it :D

6. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

if it is upgraded by apple there will be no spec label on the box i ordered a customized 13" for the wife and it did not have the spec label but i ordered directly from apple so i did not worry about it.

can i ask why you are not just ordering from apple?

7. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

ahaaaa so if it is customized on the apple online store it wont have a spec label !!!

isnt this a bit strange ??

i wanted to order it from apple online store my self for him , but he said that he would like to have it ordered by a store from apple .

thats y we want to know without opening the box if its upgraded or not { because it might b a gift }

:D

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Why are you using the store at all then? Just have Apple ship it directly.

9. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

Just like i said before , he wanted the store to order it for him from apple online . ;)
    as long as we can check the spec of the laptop when it arrives with the spec label , if we cant i might order it for him my self through apple online store :)

10. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

please guys if anyone can answer { confirm or deny } , if the customized MBP from apple online store comes with spec label or not ??? :D

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Mine didn't. Save yourself the hassle and buy straight from Apple, there is no advantage whatsoever buying from the store you're talking about, make this clear to your friend. You're likely to wait for it longer, and it'll cost you just as much if not more.

12. Jungiii macrumors member

Something is off here with the OP, something doesn't add up... he's your friend but you dont know why? Not to mention YOU'RE the ONE who is ordering it for him? it is a hefty amount of $ mind you.

13. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

hhhhhhhhhhhh

dont worry nothing is wrong here , he is a friend of mine and im used to order TECH stuffs for my friends when ever they want to { cuz im always ordering online my self } , and y does he want it from the store or sealed or online i didnt bother asking , cuz he is the one paying { i my self just assumed its a gift since he wants it sealed from apple } , and the money is not an issue ill pay with my credit card and he will repay me at the same time ;)

is there still anything off i didnt explain ??? :D

and guys thank you for the replies , and as far as i've learned , with customized MBP the spec label is removed by apple it self { good info when the time comes for my order :D }

14. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Kind of... You're saying that your friends use you to buy tech stuff because "you are always ordering stuff yourself", which means they are assuming you would know what to do. I'm often asked to make purchases for others too, but because I know what to buy and they want me to use my own discretion and experience - but you aren't using any discretion. You just order from Store X because your friend for some reason wants it from Store X, and you even go as far as to have Store X order it directly from Apple for you, when you could do the same thing yourself for less.

You don't owe me an explanation or anything, but I'm failing to understand why this computer MUST be ordered from Store X, and why you're excited that there aren't spec labels on the outside of the box.

15. AJ/Apple thread starter macrumors newbie

will one of the main reasons that he wants it ordered form the store through apple as he said it by himself and i quote { its alot of money and if the store didnt deliever it and it was some how lost or damaged or anything it will b the store's issue and i can ask for a refund , but if i let u order it for me - which i explained to him everything about orders and how safe it is with shipping companies and its is almost the same - and somthing happened to it on the way i wont feel easy asking you for a refund }

and btw most of my stuffs are bought online , and i my self cant see the reason in having another store order it for me , for maybe an extra amount { fee's } .
    and as for the label i wont care about it if i was to order online because its directly from the apple store , but y he wants a label i guess its because since he wants the laptop from the store he wants to know that he got what he wanted before he even opened it :D

{ and it was good to know that it doesnt come with one , because if it came and there was no label i might assume that somthing was wrong , so its good to know in advance }

i hope i made everything clear now :D