Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
I’m refusing to purchase an Apple prodcut aka MacBook Pro until it has an AMD Ryzen 4000 or 5000 mobile CPU. Period

when is this happening?

P.S. *whispers WiFi 6 would be nice too.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I’m refusing to purchase an Apple prodcut aka MacBook Pro until it has an AMD Ryzen 4000 or 5000 mobile CPU. Period

Yeah I'm in the same boat, and it would've pushed me to upgrade this year too. I don't know how anyone can justify the mediocrity that is Intel 10th gen in a product that costs this much.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm beginning to think there's a reason behind Apple's pigheaded stubbornness in regards to Ryzen... We'll probably know more after WWDC but it's increasingly looking like the ARM rumors might be true (at least to some degree). I'm holding out hope for Apple just supporting dual ISA's on macOS (so x86 AND ARM) indefinitely, but that's probably a pipe dream.

But hey i'd love for Apple to prove me wrong by releasing a Ryzen 4000 14" MBP in the fall!

Dannuts

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2020
It would be cool to see, but I mean, it's not just Apple. Dell, Microsoft, HP etc. are still mostly Intel across the board in their high end products. There is more to it than just adding an AMD processor to your cart on PCPartPicker at this scale of manufacturing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It would be cool to see, but I mean, it's not just Apple. Dell, Microsoft, HP etc. are still mostly Intel across the board in their high end products. There is more to it than just adding an AMD processor to your cart on PCPartPicker at this scale of manufacturing.
Agreed. Rene Ritchie addresses it on one of his recent YouTube posts. He speculates that Apple has good contractual terms with Intel (e.g. they get customized chips for the Air and 13” Pro) and in the time it would take to move to AMD effectively, they could move to ARM, which is likely their ultimate goal, anyway.

It sounds like Acer may have entered into a long-term agreement with AMD to showcase the Ryzen chips. Whether AMD yet has enough capacity to woo Dell or HP remains to be seen.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Apple is NOT paying list prices for Intel CPU's. Intel will always undercut AMD when it comes to the big accounts like Apple. Plus Apple probably doesn't want to re-engineer their logic boards from the ground up...

The last time Apple used a non-Intel chipset was 10 years ago with the last of the Core2duo MacBook pro 13's...

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
According to this, the 28W Ice Lake chips are now exclusive to Apple. If Intel values the relationship so much, it’s unlikely Apple would switch to AMD, even as a stopgap until the ARM chips are ready.

AmazinApple

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2019
New York, NY
There's no incentive for them to switch processor manufacturers when they're designing high level silicon of their own. Like people have said we will see Apple designed ARM processors before Apple leaves Intel for their CPUs I believe.

Reactions: KPOM

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
At this point at least, it seems Intel CPUs are still superior for content creators, might be programs still need to optimise for AMD Ryzen CPU(which may or may not happen).

The MacBook Pro 16” is holding up very well against these newer machines.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah I'm in the same boat, and it would've pushed me to upgrade this year too. I don't know how anyone can justify the mediocrity that is Intel 10th gen in a product that costs this much.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm beginning to think there's a reason behind Apple's pigheaded stubbornness in regards to Ryzen... We'll probably know more after WWDC but it's increasingly looking like the ARM rumors might be true (at least to some degree). I'm holding out hope for Apple just supporting dual ISA's on macOS (so x86 AND ARM) indefinitely, but that's probably a pipe dream.

But hey i'd love for Apple to prove me wrong by releasing a Ryzen 4000 14" MBP in the fall!
Or for Back to School,,,,,,,errr that’s right there is no more back to school

Reactions: Tekguy0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.