One Refurb 8800GT, coming right up...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pprior, May 1, 2008.

1. pprior macrumors 65816

I have had abysmal performance from this card in the only game I play - BF2142, it's unplayable even at 1024x768.

I also have had system instability, with beach ball lockups (but no kernal panics) which have occurred about every 2 days. Today I spent 45 minutes editing a multilayered photoshop file and it locked up. I lost everything.

Now I'm an idiot for not saving during that time, admittedly, but I've had it with this supposed upgrade.

Apple is giving me a return auth number as we speak. I'm bummed after all this time that this card was such a flop, but maybe ATI will do better.

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

Why not just get the card replaced. The upgrade is most definitely not a flop... it's been incredibly in my machine, as many others'.

Just get them to swap cards, and I'm sure you'll be fine.

3. pprior thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought about it, but have seen others reporting horrible slowness in BF2142 and nobody saying it was faster. That along with apparent driver problems (card is slower in pro apps, and I spend most of my time in Aperture) means there really just isn't a reason to keep it.

I was hoping for a big jump in gaming speed, and it just didn't happen (with the game that I play).

the card was quieter, and I enjoyed that. I'll keep an eye out and will look at the ATI card when it comes out, and if drivers are updated then maybe I'll buy another 8800 in the future, but for now it's going back.