One remote, two devices

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Evangelion, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I have been thinking about getting a Mac Mini as a living-room computer. It would replace my DVR, DVD-player and so forth. And it would be primarily used through the bundled Apple Remote. But I have also been thinking about replacing the stereos with an Apple HiFi. And it too would be used with an Apple Remote.

Now, the question is that how would that work? I mean, the two devices would be few meters apart from each other. Would I have to have to separate, yet identical remotes for both?

Yes, some of you are probably thinking "Why get the HiFi, instead of just listening to the music through the Mini?". Well, I would still need speakers, and the speakers on the TV aren't that good for music. And the Mrs. isn't that keen on getting proper speakers in the living-room, but she might accept the HiFi, since it would just go to the bookshelf. Also, I wouldn't have to turn on the TV just to listen to some music. And, for some reason, I want to get the HiFi as well :).

So how would it work?

2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

The remote is not device specific, so you will be able to use one remote for as many devices that can use it. I'm not sure if the proxmity of the HiFi and Mini will cause any interference but I think it should work. I have used one remote with two iMac seperated by about 15-20 feet.

3. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Anyone tested how much apart the devices need to be?

4. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

I have a mac mini and Apple Hi-Fi. I have 2 remotes and each is paired with the appropriate device. I have a piece of tape on one of them so that I know which device its for.

Hope this helps.

---------
    Pairing your iPod Hi-Fi with the remote

The included Apple Remote works with other compatible Apple products that have a built-in infrared (IR) receiver. You can set your iPod Hi-Fi to work only with the included remote so that remotes for your other devices do not affect your iPod Hi-Fi. This is called pairing.

To set your iPod Hi-Fi to work only with the included remote:
    Connect your iPod Hi-Fi to an electrical outlet. If your iPod Hi-Fi has batteries, you do not need to connect it to an outlet.
    Make sure other products that are compatible (see above) with the remote are not in range, and hold the remote close to your iPod Hi-Fi (about 3 to 4 inches away).
    Press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons on the remote simultaneously for about six seconds. The status light blinks green several times. Your iPod Hi-Fi now works only with the paired remote.
    -------
    Pairing your remote with your Mac (Mac Mini, Macbook etc)

Get extra close to your Mac (about 3 or 4 inches away).
    Point the remote at the Apple logo on the front of your Mac.
    Press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons simultaneously on the remote for 5 seconds.

5. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

that didnt work for me. i have a MacBook and MacBook Pro.

6. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, but... I wouldn't want to have extra remotes, and I wouldn't want to differentiate them with piece of sticker or something. The less remotes, the better.

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

The remotes work from quite a distance so the Mini and Hi-Fi would need to be quite far apart, which is not really an option.

Perhpas you can get universal remote and learn the commands from the apple remote ( including the pairing ). I don't see why this would not work.

8. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

How strange. I have a Mac Mini, Macbook and Hi-Fi and each works independently.

Have you tried to go into SYSTEM PREFERENCES - SECURITY and see whether the button says UNPAIR. If it does click it and then try again to pair.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's worked for me on a MBP, MP, mini, iMac, and Apple TV. As suggested, make sure they aren't already paired. It takes a few seconds for the pairing to work, but it always works, or at least always has for me. Make sure you're pressing the Menu button, not the Play/Pause one, and don't forget the FF one at the same time.
    You realize they're not a lot bigger than sticks of gum, right? ;) Put a piece of double-sided tape on the back and use them together (identify them on the front with tape or marker).

Odds are you'll see interference otherwise.

10. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Yep.

That's actually a pretty good idea. But the thing is that the remotes are so elegant and pretty, that putting tape on them or something seems... unclean.

11. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

For your benefit - please take a look at www.audioengineusa.com

I purchased a pair of these self powered speakers in a matte black finish. They are fantastic performers. One of the best purchases I have ever made. They are also very unobtrusive and integrate Airport Express if you don't want to run a wire.

12. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, if I went looking for separate speakers, I would be looking at a pair of Genelecs :). Best speakers money can buy. But, as it seems, it's back to the drawing-board for me: the Mrs. told me that the stereo-replacement must have a radio.