One replacement iPhone, One new iPhone in the same visit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uiop., Jun 2, 2009.

1. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

So my iPhone 3G has 5 hairline cracks along with dust under the screen, and I'm very confident that Apple will replace my iPhone if I took it to a store. I plan on buying the new iPhone that will be coming out sometime this summer as well. So my question is, can I go in there and get my iPhone 3G replaced and then buy a new iPhone all in the same visit? I know it probably looks selfish that I want to walk out of an Apple store with two "new" iPhones, but I plan on selling my current gen iPhone 3G once I get the new one this summer and listing it as "new" dramatically helps in the resale value.

They're going to give me a dirty look when I tell them I'd like to buy a new iPhone right after I get my 3G replaced, but is this permissible?

Danke.

2. The General macrumors 601

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

They wouldn't even know to be honest. You would go to the Genius bar and get it replaced, then shop the store and get the new iPhone.

4. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Just do the Genius Bar first.:)

5. MAYBL8R macrumors member

I did the same exact thing with the 2G to 3G transition. Genius bar replaced, then went to a sales associate and purchased the 3G. Kept the plastic on and sold the 2G on eBay.

6. App1€ macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure the Genius Bar was closed last year during the launch. I could be mistaken but I remember my sister complaining about not being able to get an appointment. Could have just been mine though.

7. tsdriven macrumors newbie

they wont replace your phone just the screen. and you will have to pay around 200 dollars

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I don't think you understand what he is saying. They will more than likely exchange the phone for the OP.

Just keep in mind you won't be able to do this on launch day, OP. The store basically shuts down except for iPhone sales on those days.

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

If you bought your iPhone 3G around the launch last year, make sure you get it serviced before that date this year (unless you bought AppleCare for it).

Like others have recommended, I'd do the Genius Bar part first, as they sometimes insist that the iPhone be active on AT&T. If you've already purchased your new iPhone, then AT&T will have deactivated your old iPhone 3G, and that may make for more of a hassle.

10. tsdriven macrumors newbie

all i know is that i cracked my iphone screen. and took it in and i had to pay 200 for them to replace the screen. im still under contract and everything

11. tsdriven macrumors newbie

12. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Cracking your iPhone screen and having cracks in the back of the iPhone, which is a known issue, are completely different. Apple will not replace a device if it appears to have been damaged by the user.

13. tsdriven macrumors newbie

right.

didnt see anything about the cracks being on the back of the phone. so yea, i didnt know..

14. uiop. thread starter macrumors 68020

uiop.

That's exactly what I wanna do. ;)

Yeah I'm pretty sure its closed too. I'm not crazy enough to get the new iPhone on launch day...I'll probably wait a week or so.

Yeah I know they'll replace it. Last time I took it there, I had one crack and the genius replaced it with no questions asked. :)

I've got until July 26th to get it replaced so I'm sure the new iPhone would be out by then.

Speaking of being activated on at&t's network.
    Bless my sister's heart, but I unlocked her original iPhone for her to use on T-Mobile about a year ago and her camera stopped working one day out of the blue. She forget that I told her Apple could void her warranty if she ever took the phone in to get looked at. She took it in to the SoHo store. The genius somehow recorded her serial number after she explained the problem and away went the warranty. Someone must have peed in his cereal that morning.

That's my story of the day. :D

15. SpitzerCR macrumors regular

they have been cool as hell, replacing my second phone.. :)

Im sure they will take care of you