One side is hotter than the other

Discussion in 'iPad' started by japanime, Sep 15, 2010.

1. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

I've had my iPad since launch day, and have been very pleased with its performance.

One small thing, though, has been bothering me, and I'm wondering if it is normal.

The black front right-side edge of my iPad (when held in portrait mode, with the home button at the bottom) becomes quite warm — even hot*— to the touch. The warmth becomes noticeable after about 5 minutes of use.

The left, top and bottom black edges, meanwhile, remain cool to the touch.

Do I have a defective unit, or is this normal?

2. gatearray macrumors 65816

Not sure if it's a defect, but my launch day iPad feels warm on that side, too. Not always, but with more intensive use, it seems to be more pronounced...

3. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I regularly use my iPad for a number of hours continually and have never felt the back of it get hot.

4. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

5. japanime thread starter macrumors 68000

japanime

Same experience here — more pronounced with more intensive unit. That also happens to be the side with the volume controls, so I wonder if there are just more wires and electronic components in that side, leading to greater heat.

It's not the back, it's the front (the black part bordering the screen).

The back of my iPad never seems to get warm or hot.

6. stix macrumors member

When using mine on 3G I do find it can get quite warm after a while... especially if also using in sunlight. In the car the other day it got positively toasty (I wasn't driving :p)

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its just certain components getting hot from usage, and since they are located on on side that is the side that gets warm.