One Side of Macbook Darker?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by knightvisionn, Mar 6, 2011.

1. knightvisionn macrumors member

I've just noticed today that one side of my macbook is slightly darker than the other side. The darkness takes up about 20% of the screen, all on the left side. I know this may seem silly, but it can be quite annoying.

Here's a picture I took of it on my phone; I just filled a solid color box in to really showcase the shade difference.

[​IMG]

So far, I haven't tried much. I reset my computer, to no avail. I've ascertained through the fact that it doesn't screenshot that it has something to do with my display, but that was already pretty much a given. Google is coming up with a variety of answers, but I thought I'd make a thread here to see if there was any updated, easy fix. It seems I either need to go find my install disk and run a hardware test, or just take it in to the Apple Store. I go to school right next to the Apple Store, so it wouldn't be an issue, but I'd like to make sure this isn't just going to go away first.

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Unfortunately these problems don't disappear - they only get progressively worse. Take the computer into your nearby Apple Store and have them check it out. Is your machine still covered under AppleCare? If not, the repair will end up being quite costly and you might just want to use that money toward the purchase of a new machine.

3. knightvisionn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I've only had it for about half a year, so I'm still under warranty. Thanks.

4. knightvisionn thread starter macrumors member

Another Update

Depending on the how I tilt my laptop, it gets more or less severe. At the right angle, it's absent, but at other angles, it's very defined. So, yeah, I think I will take it again.

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Sounds like it could be a problem with either the LCD or the hinge. Regardless, Apple will fix it for you free of charge if you're within one year of the purchase date.

Best of luck.