Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swagmeout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
The title says it all.

Whenever this one song plays on my iPhone, it lags considerably. Whenever I press the home button, nothing happens for three seconds then voice control comes on. The phone becomes completely unresponsive and eventually just shuts off and restarts. I guess the obvious fix would be to delete the song, but I'm overly curious about why this happens

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
The song file is probably malformed, has incorrect header information - which makes the iPhone handle the data wrong and get "confused". Anything is possible with malformed data, from app crash to system crash. It's just unpredictable what might happen.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
That certainly sounds odd. It could be a corrupted file sending the Music app in the wrong direction when trying to play it. If not, it seems like an issue with accessing the file (assuming that it plays fine on your Mac / PC). Perhaps there is something wrong with the storage on your device but more troubleshooting is needed to be certain. If you delete the song and it starts happening with something else, you should take your phone to an Apple Store. Also have a look around if you haven't to see if this is an existing issue.

EDIT: Great, my first reply and I've just repeated the two faster responders!

swagmeout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
I got it from a music blog. It's 320kbps HQ like everything else from that site, but this specific song is the only one with the problems. It plays fine on my computer, it's just on my iPhone that this happens. I'll remove it and re-add it and see what happens again.

Similar errors occasionally happen while listening to music but not with specific songs, sometimes my iPhone will lag to hell and cease to work briefly but return to normal. This one song seems to be a different case though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.