One space or two when typing?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by After G, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I noticed that when I type long posts out, I tend to put two spaces in between each sentence. I've been trying to "fix" this behavior, since I've heard that computer typography makes the second space redundant. Is it still fine to type two spaces in between each sentence, or you think one space is the right thing to do?

2. Marcus263 macrumors regular

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I was taught to type, on a typewriter, I was told to put in 2 spaces after a period. I still use it today.

4. After G thread starter macrumors 68000

After G

Oops, my mistake ... :eek:

To my credit, I did add a "do not care" option :D

5. dreamsINdigital macrumors 6502

I was always taught two spaces after a period. That's how I type it; no reason to change.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Technically it is supposed to be one space. When I originally learned (we were the last class to use a typewriter to learn) we had to use two spaces. I have corrected myself as I had to take a typography course and if you put 2 spaces the teacher would go *******.

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

You only need one space after each sentence. Two spaces is the now old fashioned way for typewriter use.

Checking all the posts in this topic only shows one space, so either you guys are all only typing one, or the forum software automatically removes the redundant second one. :)

Some of the people I deal with use anything from no spaces to about 10 spaces ... usually varying the number in the same document. :rolleyes:

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    vBulletin only renders one space. :p So all the double spacers can complain. :eek: vBulletin doesn't love you.

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, so on that note, should commas and periods go inside or outside quotation marks? Obviously, in the instance of a quote, any commas or periods should be inside the quotation marks:

e.g. Bill looked at us and said, "Hey guys, I'm going to the store."

However, I'm one to believe that when using quotes to indicate a name or something specific, it is more appropriate to put the quotes before the punctuation:

e.g. After going into the "Apple menu", select "System Preferences".

See the difference?

10. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.