One specific website won't load..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abyssgh0st, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Abyssgh0st, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

So I'm having an ongoing issue with my University's grade portal website. However, the problem only exists on my laptop (2011 MBA). Basically, the website just doesn't load at all anymore (on this computer). It worked for a long time, and I noticed about three weeks ago it was no longer loading. I simply get the "xxx.edu can't be opened because the server where this page is located isn't responding."

I really need this website to be working for me on this computer, and I really can't figure out why it'd just randomly stop working.

Here's a few things:

1. I've restarted my computer.
    2. I've completely reset Safari (cleared all cache, cookies, everything- all boxes were checked on the Safari restart).
    3. The website loads (not very well however, many features don't work) on this computer (my MBA) via any proxy server.
    4. I've reinstalled Safari.
    5. I've tried other browsers (Chrome, Firefox) and no luck.

So what's up? I could really appreciate some advice here.

Thanks.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

The most recent line I added was the last gs.apple.com line, but IIRC it still didn't work previous to me adding that line (however, I did add it via Terminal.)

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Some routers can block sites. Can you ping the site? Are you sure your IP wasn't blacklisted (some firewalls will automatically do this if they think they're being hacked).

Have you contacted the IT department?

5. Abyssgh0st, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

Abyssgh0st thread starter macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I'm on the University's wifi, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've never done anything fishy on this computer (or with my University account), so I really can't imagine that I would have been IP banned, but it does look like I am.

Haven't contacted the IT Department yet- was going to go to them after the holiday break if I couldn't resolve it.

EDIT: Also, my exchange email via mail.app doesn't seem to be working. IP ban the most likely suspect?

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The IP will be different from a coffee shop or some other access point.