One SSD for Mac, One for Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kxfrog, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kxfrog macrumors regular

What is the best way to put 2 intel x25m g2 80gb in a mac pro 09. One for os x and apps and one for windows, what is the best setup on the windows side as well. Like should all my apps go on it or on my 320gb seagate? I currently use my four drive bays

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

80 GB isa bit small for what most people do in OS X. I use 2x80 GB and 160 for Windows.

3. Doc69 macrumors 6502

One for OS X and one for Windows sounds great. Put only your apps on the SSD, and all data (including data files that come with big applications such as Logic Pro) on the Seagate. If you do that, 80GB will go a long way. I have an X-25M in my MacBook Pro and have only used about 20GB. I have moved almost all data folders to the hard drive.

Don't forget to change default location for your data folders, such as Documents, Safari Download folder etc. to your HD. And last, if you have certain data files that you want to load faster, then, of course, put those on the SSD as well. For example, large Numbers documents are incredibly slow to load compared to Excel. Having those files on the SSD speeds up loading considerably.

Good luck!

4. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

I currently have your setup. 2 Intel X25M G2 80GB SSDs: One as a boot drive for Snow Leopard and the other as a dedicated drive for Windows 7. The performance increase has been outstanding, most notable under Windows 7. I installed AHCI though on the SSD in Win7 for it to run at full speed. However, in the near future I will be buying a 160GB Intel SSD or possibly 320GB when it is released for Win7. I will merge both 80GB to form a raid array for OSX. I have more than enough space left on the OSX ssd however in windows 80GB is limiting as I am a heavy gamer. Otherwise it is an amazing setup. I strongly recommend it. :D System gets a 7.4 overall rating in Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. ;)

5. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

1.Stuff both of the SSD's in the empty optical bay with either a ready made solution, or a DIY one.

This is the least expensive ready-made mounting solution that will work for you. $9USD isn't too bad. :D.

But if you've an old CD/DVD drive lying around (DOA is ideal), you could disassemble it for the metal plates. Then use one of them as a mount. Just drill some holes.

2. Use a PCIe SATA card to attach the Windows disk to, and the the other (OS X) drive to the available port in the empty optical bay.

3. Power for the second SSD in optical bay #2. One way to do it, is use a backplane extension cable attached to the connector for the empty optical bay, and splice it with a SATA power cable (cut the Molex end off, and tie the wires in with the power wires on the backplane extention cable - soldering + heatshrink tubing is best, but if not possible, it's still easy enought to do with crip connectors, or wire nuts worst case). There's no modifications to the existing wiring that could void the warranty.

gugucom's also found a way to do this, and it's a bit cleaner (no additional cable length to deal with). But he's in Germany, and the adapter used may not be available to you. Worth looking into, if he'll post a link/description of the adapter. ;)

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

2xSSD for OSX... Ditch Windows! :p

Honestly, what do you need Windows for?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Anything you can't do with OS X (i.e. areas where the software is non existant), or where the software in Windows is actually better. :eek: :p

9. whyrichard macrumors 68000

unfortunately, still a holdout on windows for: catia, digital project, 64 bit maya, rhino (mac rhino is super beta)....

r.

10. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

I need windows, as i traded in my rig when i got my mac pro, so i am a heavy gamer, as much as i hate windows i need it. I am now thinking of using this setup. Would i work.

Gugu's Addonics 4 ssd raid enclosure for optical bay
    3 intel x25 m gen 2 160gb
    sata power to 4 pin molex adapter
    4 pin to 4 pin molex extention cable
    areca 2110 pcie sata card
    3 sata cables, from optical bay and 2 from pcie card

11. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

You clearly have a fair amount of income to dispose of... Have you considered that for the price of some of that gear you would be dedicating to gaming in Windows, you could buy a PS3, FragFX, and a nice large screen LCD TV for gaming and get out of the PC gaming spin cycle? :confused:

I did this and haven't looked back. I don't miss the constant pressure to upgrade graphics cards and monkey around with getting games optimized to run on Windows at all anymore. I now spend more time gaming and less time f'n around in Windows... AND I can spend money on games instead of on constantly upgrading my PC graphics card.

12. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

Income!

No! I cant afford the drives, or the raid card, i was seeing if it would be viable or worth while to do this and i am stopping gaming in windows, so i might go back to my original idea of getting an ssd for windows 80gb and two 80gb for mac.
    EDIT: just checked the prices wow! £220 for each drive maybe not, i might just buy one ssd for mac

13. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

This is pretty much what I run myself. I assume the extension cable is for eSATA?

The Areca card I use is 1210 not 2110.

If I had known it at the time I would probably also have considered the Transintl DX4 enclosure. Particularly the Molex power solution of that kit looks great to me.

14. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your help and i will hopefully use this setup when ssd prices are cheap and the other components become cheaper. Hopefully all of this for <£300 by the end of 2010!