One-stop DVD backup software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pagemakers, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Currently I use Fast DVD for my DVD backups. It does compressing, ripping and burning in one step.

However, there are more and more DVDs I am unable to backup and Fast DVD never seems to get any updates.

Can anybody else recommend a one-step backup solution?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm these one-step processes seem to becoming less reliable, i would suggest just using MacTheRipper + whatever burner you want (toast titanium, disk utility, Burn etc)

3. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I'd prefer 1 step. When I was a Windows user there were many apps and they worked faultlessly.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhmm ok then... not aware of any 1 steps (that are free-im a free type of person). sorry

5. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

6. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Toast 9 won't backup my commercial copy protected titles.

The link you provided is not for an all in one app. It only rips.

7. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Unfortunately there really isn't much out there. Your are more or less limited to MacTheRipper, Handbrake, and... um.... yaaaaaaa.... Not much else. I have not seen any all-in-one FOR MAC, period. Sorry man. Just stick with the separate stuff until someone writes one, I guess.

Personally I have been booting into Windows under Boot Camp and using DVDfab 5. That is an amazing all-in-one program, though unfortunately Windows only. (although since I have gotten MTR 3.0, I tend to be staying in OSX more often...)

Those who are the veritable Ninjas of DVD "backup" (as it were :D) seem to be Windows guys or are using Linux or something and find it easier to write for Windows, I am guessing...

8. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I have Parallels installed but hen I try to use DVDFab, after copying the data it fails when I inset a blank disk to write to. It keeps saying ”insert disk“!!

There are 2 all in one mac applications I have found: Fast DVD Copy and 4Media DVD Copy. problem is they both have issues with Sony titles.

9. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Are you sure you are using Dual-Layer media, if you are selecting "DVD9" (so as to get full-quality copies? That might be the reason. That, or DVDfab doesn't play nice with Parallels' ODD drivers. Could be either one...

DVDfab is kind of finicky unless you are really nice to it it seems :) (but it does copy EVERYTHING, no questions asked)

10. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I am compressing to DVD5 and using the correct type of media.

11. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You might get better results if you were to go all-in and instal under Boot Camp. DVDfab plays nicer when it is not going through Parallels...

[edit] oh, and if you are having issues with only certain studios, DVDfab has a very small windows utility that does nothing but strip the copy protection. So if you can get your all-in-one Mac solution to at least get you the Video_TS folders, that can strip the copy protection, region control, etc. so that you can actually burn it with whatever you use... [/edit]

12. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

As for once-click solutions i have tried this before and it seems to work ok. http://www.dvd2one.com/
    I personally like the handbrake then toast option.

13. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

That's more what I'm after. I've give the trial a whizz!

14. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

Hope it works out!;)

15. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Just tried to backup 3 commercial DVDs and on 2 of them it fails reading the disk saying protected audio content :(

16. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I guess that the moral of the story is to just keep it simple. Use something that does the ripping, and does it well (MacTheRipper). Then use something that does burning, and does it well (Toast, etc.). There is simply not enough people writing these programs for Mac, so asking for something that does it all may be a bit much to ask for at the moment.

Sorry man :(

17. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Thanks for the heads up anyway!

PC have piles of apps that do this and do it well. Us poor Mac users......

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats why you need MTR!!!!!! otherwise its just useless using all those programs....

MTR + Toast, i know you dont want to, but you might have to.