Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Currently I use Fast DVD for my DVD backups. It does compressing, ripping and burning in one step.

However, there are more and more DVDs I am unable to backup and Fast DVD never seems to get any updates.

Can anybody else recommend a one-step backup solution?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
hhmm these one-step processes seem to becoming less reliable, i would suggest just using MacTheRipper + whatever burner you want (toast titanium, disk utility, Burn etc)

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
Toast 9 won't backup my commercial copy protected titles.

The link you provided is not for an all in one app. It only rips.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Unfortunately there really isn't much out there. Your are more or less limited to MacTheRipper, Handbrake, and... um.... yaaaaaaa.... Not much else. I have not seen any all-in-one FOR MAC, period. Sorry man. Just stick with the separate stuff until someone writes one, I guess.

Personally I have been booting into Windows under Boot Camp and using DVDfab 5. That is an amazing all-in-one program, though unfortunately Windows only. (although since I have gotten MTR 3.0, I tend to be staying in OSX more often...)

Those who are the veritable Ninjas of DVD "backup" (as it were :D) seem to be Windows guys or are using Linux or something and find it easier to write for Windows, I am guessing...

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
I have Parallels installed but hen I try to use DVDFab, after copying the data it fails when I inset a blank disk to write to. It keeps saying ”insert disk“!!

There are 2 all in one mac applications I have found: Fast DVD Copy and 4Media DVD Copy. problem is they both have issues with Sony titles.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I have Parallels installed but hen I try to use DVDFab, after copying the data it fails when I inset a blank disk to write to. It keeps saying ”insert disk“!!

There are 2 all in one mac applications I have found: Fast DVD Copy and 4Media DVD Copy. problem is they both have issues with Sony titles.

Are you sure you are using Dual-Layer media, if you are selecting "DVD9" (so as to get full-quality copies? That might be the reason. That, or DVDfab doesn't play nice with Parallels' ODD drivers. Could be either one...

DVDfab is kind of finicky unless you are really nice to it it seems :) (but it does copy EVERYTHING, no questions asked)

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I am compressing to DVD5 and using the correct type of media.

You might get better results if you were to go all-in and instal under Boot Camp. DVDfab plays nicer when it is not going through Parallels...

[edit] oh, and if you are having issues with only certain studios, DVDfab has a very small windows utility that does nothing but strip the copy protection. So if you can get your all-in-one Mac solution to at least get you the Video_TS folders, that can strip the copy protection, region control, etc. so that you can actually burn it with whatever you use... [/edit]

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
Just tried to backup 3 commercial DVDs and on 2 of them it fails reading the disk saying protected audio content :(

I guess that the moral of the story is to just keep it simple. Use something that does the ripping, and does it well (MacTheRipper). Then use something that does burning, and does it well (Toast, etc.). There is simply not enough people writing these programs for Mac, so asking for something that does it all may be a bit much to ask for at the moment.

Sorry man :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.