One stop shop for all questions!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snaky69, May 19, 2011.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

This post is intended to answer some of the most common questions that get asked multiple times a day/week that have a well known answer.
    First, if you have a question, try searching using Mroogle, as it very likely has already been asked before.

1. Temperature
    1.1 My MacBook Pro runs hot/is overheating!
    Let me first start by saying that in the most likely instance, your computer is not overheating. If it was, Intel uses a failsafe to prevent damage to the electronic components where the computer will shut itself off if it reaches a critical temperature. This is usually around 105°C or 221F. Although running near(within 10 degrees) these temperatures isn’t being too nice on your computer’s components, they are within spec and they should survive without harm. Basically, if your computer isn’t turning itself off, don’t worry.
    You can download the iStat Pro widget through this link to monitor CPU Usage, temperatures, and much more.

1.2 Why does my MacBook Pro runs hot, then?
    It depends on a number of factors, but the most important is the CPU(processor) usage. Rendering video, using Adobe Flash based videos and games, running a lot(10+) apps at once, etc. will all raise the amount of processing power needed to accomplish those tasks. More power needed = more heat produced, each and every time.

1.3 Can I do anything to reduce those temps?
    If you are bothered by those temperatures, I suggest you download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player to help alleviate heat production when using Flash. Otherwise, keeping your computer on a flat, clean surface is just about the best you can do. Do not block the air vent which is located on the back of the computer along the hinge.

1.4 What is the normal temperature range?
    Macbook Pro’s are known to idle anywhere between 28°C(82.4F) through 65°C(147F), in which case, the fan(s) should be running at their idle of 2000rpm.
    At full load, temps can reach a toasty 95°C(203F) through 100°C(212F)

2. Battery
    This should answer most, if not all your battery questions, and I strongly suggest reading through it: Battery FAQ by GGJstudios
    Some short answers to the most common questions follow:

2.1 Why doesn’t my battery last the advertised X hours?
    These figures are only true under very precise circumstances. Battery life depends on a few major things: any peripheral plugged into your MacBook Pro, screen brightness, processor usage.
    This is how Apple tests their battery life estimates:
    This is, of course, with Bluetooth and time machine both turned off. Websites are also text based and contain no flash.

2.2 Can I leave my computer plugged in all the time?
    The short answer is that you can do it without harming the battery, so long as you unplug the computer once every few days and let it drain the battery past the 80%, as this will keep the battery exercised by keeping the electrons flowing. More info is contained in the FAQ at the beginning of this section.

3. Warranty
    3.1 I want to change out my RAM and Hard Drive, will this void my warranty?
    No, it will not. They are deemed by Apple to be user replaceable parts, and Apple even gives you instructions on how to properly do it in the computer’s Owner’s Manual. Should any Apple Store try voiding your warranty, you are protected under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which in layman’s terms is a law that says that if you didn’t break anything while taking apart your machine, you are still entitled to the manufacturer’s warranty.

3.2 I spilled liquid on my computer, will Apple Care cover me?
    No. Apple Care protects from manufacturing defects, and unless the Chinese worker that built your computer poured the glass of liquid over your computer while he was building it, you are SOL. Hopefully a Genius will feel bad for you.
    Same goes for drops, car accidents, and whatnot.

4. Virus/Malware
    I strongly suggest you read this great FAQ Virus/Malware FAQ by GGJstudios
    Most malware can be easily avoided, be it on Windows or OS X, not downloading anything you don’t know or trust, not blindly clicking yes to every pop up and actually reading them, avoiding torrents/hacked software should keep you quite safe.

4.1 Do I need anti-virus on a Mac?
    Anti-virus can only scan for what exists, since there are currently no virus for OS X in the wild, your anti-virus is useless as it doesn’t know what to look for. If you share a lot of files with Windows computers, you could scan for PC viruses the files you send, but those other computers are probably already equipped with anti-virus.

More to come later

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh yay, another sticky-like post for the masses to ignore.

3. GGJstudios, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My thoughts, exactly! They don't read all the stickies, FAQs and other informative posts that already exist. Nice effort, though! :)

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That and the title really has no indication of the content of the body of the post, so most looking for those answers won't even look here.

5. r3vo714 macrumors newbie

6. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

What does the title have to do with it? People don't look at the title of posts even if there are a dozen of them talking about spilled water, hot MBPs, and computers going to sleep prematurely while on battery power. However, if someone is actively searching for their answer, I think they'll open the thread to see if their problem is one of these common ones.

Awesome post!

7. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Agreed, but an informative title would not yield any hits either.

Better to title the thread something that would gather attention, like:

apple replaced mbp after spilling motor oil on keyboard

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Wrong. Title has lots to do with it. I agree that people asking questions and starting posts usually don't read titles (and most of the times don't search either, most couldn't even find the search button on the forum, it should be a test during registration for the site so one would at least know where it is.), but people responding and trying to help DO read titles. What drew you here, the title or a search on the topics covered within?? For me it was the curiosity of what the title was referring to.

9. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

That is who I was referring to when I said, "People." I apologize if I assumed incorrectly that anyone would understand what I meant without explicitly stating it, based solely on the inferences I was making in the rest of my post. I typically read the context of a post, not just the words. That's also how I write.

10. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I understand. I just try to avoid sweeping generalizations as it is too encompassing, and there are people that do read titles when searching for answers to their questions. I rarely start posts for this simple reason (that and about 95% of the questions I have can be answered through Google searches).