One switch to rule them all...

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by rockstarjoe, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I have a Digi002 hooked up to powered speakers, and I usually have them turned off when I am not recording a session. Does anyone know if it would be dangerous / bad to run the Digi002 and speakers (and possibly other equipment) off of a power strip and use the power strip to turn them off / on (i.e., leave them always switched on but cut the power to them when they are not in use)?

I don't want to hurt my equipment but I'm also looking for ways to get up and running quicker.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the problem is that, with speakers, you need to follow a certain order: last ones on, first ones off.

so, you can put everything else on a single power strip, but dedicate one for the monitors. and then follow the order above.

edit:

there does exist an 8-outlet rack-mountable power strip that has a dedicated switch for each outlet (located on the rear). i found mine online at some DJ store, i think. that might work well for you.

3. rockstarjoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Do you say that the speakers need to be the last ones on so that they aren't damaged by the "pop" when everything else comes online? I know that the Digi002 starts out muted so this might not be a problem... although not sure how this would work when turning everything off.

I used to have one of those power strips with individual switches and I got rid of it. D'oh!

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes.

call me old fashioned, but i'd still rather not run the risk.

5. rockstarjoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

6. K Wal macrumors newbie

One other thing that could happen if you turn on the speakers at the same time is a power spike that could cause a pop even with the Digi 002's output muted.