One tap kills all running background apps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iHawaii, Sep 25, 2012.

1. iHawaii macrumors member

Is this something that we may see down the road in iOS? (I don't JB my phones, so that is not an option if it's already been successfully attempted). I see it as being useful. Eg. Double-click to bring up multitasking, swipe to the right and a static icon sits there that kills all... swap it out for the music button so it wouldn't be hit in error. Just a random thought to improve UI.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I thought that would have been a feature in iOS 6. Definitely useful but they were likely busy making this killer maps app.

3. iHawaii thread starter macrumors member

I am no developer, but this doesn't seem like a monumental task... maybe next time around.
    :rolleyes:

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering iOS automatically kills background apps as the front one needs resources, what would be the point? The only exception that comes to mind is apps that are using location services.

5. jacobss macrumors 6502

Sometimes safari seems to be laggy on certain websites, when I kill all the apps in the background it runs smoother.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

neither was copy/paste in theory but apple has a standard that they like to hold things at rather than rush them in each software release.

7. iHawaii thread starter macrumors member

Yep, location services. FB, Twitter, Maps, Find Friends, etc... I realize I could turn off location services, but I have family scattered all over the US, and I am never where I shouldn't be - so I prefer it on.

8. iHawaii thread starter macrumors member

Agreed - and value that Apple does this... however, it's been several iOS upgrades since multitasking was introduced.. I am just surprised it wasn't done sooner with regard to improving battery life and phone sluggishness when 25+ apps are "open". If this has already been debated to death, my apologies. I haven't been posting/reading here since just after my 4 inexplicably arrived at my home two days earlier than most everyone else's. I have no clue what my screen name and pw or email I used were when I joined in 2008. I'm old, I know.

9. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000