One thing about OSX 10.6.5 update.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJ-R, Oct 23, 2010.

1. DJ-R macrumors regular

DJ-R

For the update of OS X 10.6.5 coming pretty soon I hope.
    They said they are addressing a fix for graphic bug.

I am wondering if they are going to fix FireFox / Chrome or other browser which will trigger graphic switching to NVIDIA GPU and stuck there as long the browser app remains running. It is not like Safari which works completely seamless switching only when needed like HD youtube and on SD youtube it will switch back to Intel. Other app won't, that is the current problem with 10.6.4 and we are force to use gfxCardStatus app to lock the switch mode on the go.

I'm just curious. If it is the fix for this, glorious!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Firefox, Chrome, and other browsers are not Apple products. If the graphic switching depends on something the application does, then it's up to the app developers to add code to do so.

3. DJ-R thread starter macrumors regular

DJ-R

Nope, you're wrong in some way.

I've spoke with 2-3 companies / team developers that they all know this problem.

The only thing is on Apple side to fix it. The issue is any apps that uses the animation will trigger the Switch. This is an exception for Safari which might question us the most. Why Safari could and other can't?

I'll say maybe it's because Safari is part of the OS X integrated system.

4. dyn macrumors 68030

Could you give an example which will trigger the switching? My Firefox and Safari do not seem to trigger the gpu switch, it keeps running on the Intel GPU.