One thing I don't get about this site..

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by thomamon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

First, let me start off by saying how much I love this site. It is one of my regular sites that I visit multiple times a day. I've learned so much here, received help I may have needed with my different Apple products.

But one thing that really bugs me is the need for posters to come in a discussion and belittle the posters and thread. Most of the community here is great, but there are those people who just can't but help themselves try and put other posters down.

Is it really necessary?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what exactly are you looking for here?

report posts in question and move on

you can't change the nature of a forum really

3. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Just venting I guess. I find it frustrating is all when someone comes in and feels the need to crap on someone elses thoughts or opinions.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=957473

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just report members who do things like that. If the mods don’t know, nothing is going to change.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I think you can in a small way, if enough people set good examples. New users whose purpose is trolling may not change, but there are a lot of users who post in the style they see in other posts. Even the phrases people use seem to follow what they see others using.

So definitely help us out by reporting posts. And when you can, make a useful post that will help tip the balance away from the useless posts you see. It takes longer to compose a good post than a bad one, so a single poster can't solve the problem, but helpful/thoughtful posts by many users will improve the quality of a discussion.

Also, focus on replying to users who are worth exchanging posts with. If you see a trolling post, report it and then ignore it rather than taking the bait and stooping to their level.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I agree. I belong to a few forums and this is one of the worst for negative comments and it's getting worse over the years. I think that most of the negativity comes from young Apple fans who have limited social skills.

I try to ignore and not reply to the negative immature comments.

Cheers.