One thing i miss from windows... can this be done on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Deano.uk, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Deano.uk macrumors regular

Deano.uk

hey everyone...

2 weeks in and the Mac is near perfect... one thing i do miss is the ability to keep windows "always on top".

In windows i had a tiny app that ran in the background allowing me to right-click the window and keep it on top of all other windows... handy for IM Chats and playing videos while browsing.

Can anyone recommended a decent app that would work with Snow Leopard that would allow me to do this?

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Yes and no.

Yes, the app is called Afloat (http://infinite-labs.net/afloat/)
    No, it doesn't currently work on Snow Leopard :(

Hopefully it or a replacement will work on SL soon.

3. After G macrumors 68000

After G

4. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

cheers... ill give it a go :)

5. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

for MSN, use Adium

and that has a setting which allows you to do that

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

What I don't understand is why on earth would someone in fact prefer the one feature that when activated I hate the most. If I click on a window, I want that to be on top. If some other window has a preference of staying on top, I have to drag that window to another space, which takes time and effort and is just generally annoying.

But I guess there's always someone who wants to set strange preferences. Usually it's great to have choice. IMO, this is not one of those situations.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

It's similar reasoning for the existence of notifications - a need to see that particular information as quickly as possible when it is available. It's also useful if you have a main task that needs watching but not interaction - you can do things in the background without losing sight of it.

Sometimes an app developer for whatever reason doesn't have their app hooked with notifications, so it's easier to see the info by leaving the whole window on top.

I'd argue that with proper notifications, always-on-top isn't necessary but unfortunately not all developers are sufficiently enlightened.

8. Deano.uk thread starter macrumors regular

Deano.uk

I started this thread as i was watching the Apple keynote from this week, while browsing the internet... i often watch downloaded tvshows/movies while randomly browsing... so to have my media player 'always on top' while browsing internet is very handy for me. Same for instant messaging... if i have a chat with someone, i like it to be pinned to the right hand side of my screen

9. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Why do you need the media player on top when you can use Cover sutra and it's amazing search features, along with the keybaord shortcuts?!

[​IMG]

No, it's not free, but it's worth every buck.

And use Adium for IMs, it's so much better than the MS MSN.