One thing I miss on the virtual keyboard...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Apr 17, 2010.

1. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I agree arrow keys would be a phenomenal addition to the virtual keyboard. Yes you can use your finger to move the cursor but sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get the cursor exactly where you want it, arrow keys would definitely make things easier. Hmm probably ought to send Apple feedback on adding arrow keys to the virtual keyboard.

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

do they work from bluetooth keyboards, or is that capability completely blocked?

3. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll submit a feedback request.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

4. calebz macrumors newbie

HA!

Before I clicked your post, I remembered all the tech. websites complaints and went: "No arrow keys."

And her we are. :D The very good thing is that maybe that can be just a software upgrade.

I agree with you, BTW.

5. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Arrow keys would be nice and very helpful when doing a lot of text editing, the other thing that really bugs me is the lack of apostrophe on the home key page. It's something I use far, far more commonly than the exclamation mark, which is on the home page. I know you can tap and hold that key to get an apostrophe instead of navigating to another page, but either way it slows your typing to a halt.

Another thing it needs is a Tab key. How the heck are you supposed to tab over in a word processor (Pages, for example)?

6. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't know tech websites complained about this. I hope Apple took notes and already added it in the 4.0 upgrade. *fingers crossed*

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Doesn't it include the apostrophe for you like on the touch?

8. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Pages has a tab key up in the control bar. You set tabs by doing a long touch on the ruler. Slide tab stops by dragging your finger, tap to change from left tab, to center, or right. Took me a minute to get used to it, but it works fine.

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

They do work, in pages at least. In safari you have to use the touchscreen. Pages also let's you use Cmd-A, Cmd-C and other shortcuts like that.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

If you mean does the autocomplete engine insert it the answer is yes, but only sometimes. It's inconsistent and unreliable. Sometimes when I type "youre", it will insert it, sometimes it will not, and if I always have to check whether it did or not, and go back to correct it, it kind of defeats the purpose. Then you also have the problem of "it's" vs. "its".

Hmm OK, thanks, I'll try that. Still, I think it would be useful to have a Tab key available on the keyboard as it would be useful it many applications where you need an actual Tab character and not an arbitrary ruler tab stop.

11. McMack macrumors member

You can get an apostrophe from the front keyboard: just press and hold the full stop key, and an apostrophe option will appear. If you don't want to wait, tap the full stop and swipe up (do it quickly) and it will print an apostrophe straightaway. I use this second option now, it's very easy once you get the hang of it.

12. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Or

Or just press the comma key for a second and it becomes the apostrophe!

13. rmcmast macrumors newbie

I would also like to see a tab key. Would make filling out login's and web forms easier.

14. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

There needs to be the option of configuring a custom virtual keyboard ;)

15. admanimal macrumors 68040

Don't the Previous and Next buttons that appear above the keyboard achieve the same effect?

16. LadyHoneyBabe thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be nice, but I would like to see the arrow keys, which don't exist on the keyboard, added to the keyboard somehow.

17. aaron580 macrumors member

18. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

you can use the previous and next @ the top of the keyboard

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

There actually is, the problem is only developers can do it for a specific app. User configuration might be good, but I can see that easily being a mess too, and a support headache for Apple.

20. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Ah hah! That's the tip I've been looking for, thanks! I knew you could hold it down but that wasn't that convenient (too slow), the swipe gesture is perfect though. :)

Is there a list of iPad keyboard shortcus, tips, and tricks somewhere?

21. noneother macrumors member

How do you caps lock? My pad doesn't do it like the iPhone does.

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Same way, double tap Shift, but you have to enable lock first in Settings > General > Keyboard.

23. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Anyone know how to get a degree symbol? I found the "•" (long press the "-") but can't seem to find a degree symbol...

24. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny